Fret tang width choice - does it make any difference?

zedhexzedhex Frets: 191
edited August 2020 in Making & Modding
I'm just doing my first refret job on a guitar I actually like. I've already partially done a scrap neck just as a tester, but as that was a 1st attempt, I wasn't all that careful about buying the correct frets. But now that I'm doing a guitar that I am much more serious about, I'd like to be a bit more thorough. 

The guitar I am working on is a "Crafted in Japan" Fender Stratocaster. I measured the tang of the frets I took out, and they were 0.59mm. When I try to buy fret wire, the closest I can find is some Sintom wire which comes in 0.63 and some Nickel Silver with a tang width of 0.558mm.

So which should I buy? The slightly smaller one, or should I go for the slightly wider one? Would the slightly different tang width cause a curvature on the neck? 

I know this is slightly esoteric question, and maybe I am overthinking this, but I'm hoping that someone with a bit more expertise than me will point me in the right direction.

EDIT: I managed to find some Dunlop 6120 which has a 0.6 mm tang width, so it looks like I'll probably go with that

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom