Monitor controllers

Any thoughts on why it might be an idea to spend 3x as much on an audient nero as a Behringer control2usb?  The Behringer actually seems to have more features, and haven’t read anything bad about it at all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited August 2020
    A good monitor controller is defined by a couple of things- audio quality and feature set.
    The cheaper controllers usually don't sound that great when turned down and you can end up with imaging issues left to right.

The Audient is decent but it is still at the budget-ish end of the spectrum.
    I haven't heard it though- but Audient do great work so I expect it will be good.
    The Behringer... I wouldn't be expecting much.

There are reasons why devices like the Crane Song Avocet and the Grace M905 (what I have) are up around £3k+.
    I replaced an SPL MTC2381 with the Grace and noticed an improvement in stereo imaging and lower noise from the Grace- the SPL isn't exactly a cheap unit at around £700 too.

You want something that is essentially sonically invisible- a lot of the cheaper devices are noticeably 'there' and that isn't good.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I just have a little project studio, don’t do anything pro, but like nice stuff just like everyone.  

The Behringer gets great reviews here

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_control2usb_reviews.htm

one thing that’s put me off audient a bit is the amount of ‘for spares not working’ listings that appear on eBay, but the ID44 is another option, for an interface upgrade and simple monitor controller in 1, currently have a Steinberg UR44, and the DSP effects are great for tracking though, I might miss those
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Don't cross off behringer just yet they have seriously upped their game recently, 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    edited August 2020
    I have the Behringer and like it.  I'm not looking for top audio quality, though I do have a lot of nice equipment, but since I mainly record myself, it seemed like a deal, especially as I got a demo version from Sweetwater (though it was boxed with everything in, including plastic bags, so I'm not sure how demo'd it was).

It has a lot of options that I like (4 inputs, dual headphones and 3 monitors, as well as control room and record out).  I like the size of the knob too.  Honestly, I don't find it degrades the sound at all to my ears.  If I send the outs from my MOTU to the power amp vs through the Berhinger, the difference is that it just gives me much simpler volume control.  It also appears to be built like a brick shithouse.
    Yes, it looks amazing for the price, think I’ll try one and if it’s not great I’ll return it.

this whole thing has got me looking at new audio interfaces, anyone got any recommendations?  An ADAT input would be nice for tracking live drums.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    I’ve the behringer too and also pleased with it. I did put a thin strip of white tape on the knob as you can’t see the indent from most angles. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    I’m on the Presonus central station.....seem fine.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    I'm not here to make anyone feel bad about their purchase but if you want to test the capabilities of your monitor controller then try this.

Send a sine wave out to your monitor controller with the speakers disconnected and then route the inputs back into a high quality stereo input stage (being careful to not send that back to the outputs again, otherwise you will get a feedback loop.)
    Then record the sine wave at full volume, and then slowly attenuate the signal with the main potentiometer until it gets down to zero.

Once you've recorded the signal instantiate a metering plugin, anything that shows the difference between the left and right signal- and play back the sine wave and observe the difference between the left and right channel as the volume lowers.
    Ideally you want there to be no deviation between the left and right channels, or at least very minimal deviation (under 0.1dB).

Some of the cheaper units can vary 0.5dB between the left and right signal, or more.
    Imagine you are in the middle of a mix and are making choices based on perceived volume of the left/right image, then you turn down your monitor controller and things are off by 0.5dB- that can make a big difference to a mix.

In my experience affordable active monitor controllers exhibit this behaviour fairly often.

Have a read of this:
    https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-there-monitor-controller-wont-colour-sound
    octatonic said:
    I'm not here to make anyone feel bad about their purchase but if you want to test the capabilities of your monitor controller then try this......................
    That's really common with passive controllers like the Mackie big knob, I've ordered the Behringer and if it's not great I'll send it back.

The plan is to use my main mixing monitors on the direct out from the audio interface, the Behringer will just be used on a seperate line out to switch between 2 sets of secondary monitors

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    John_A said:
    octatonic said:
    I'm not here to make anyone feel bad about their purchase but if you want to test the capabilities of your monitor controller then try this......................
    That's really common with passive controllers like the Mackie big knob, I've ordered the Behringer and if it's not great I'll send it back.

The plan is to use my main mixing monitors on the direct out from the audio interface, the Behringer will just be used on a seperate line out to switch between 2 sets of secondary monitors

If you are on a semi budget home studio as I am, then a reasonable priced unit is fine surely?

Horses for courses and all that jazz ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    I am, mostly just me messing on, very occasionally get the band in for demos, certainly nothing for release.  Don't like crap, but certainly not spending 1000's on a monitor controller
    Well I bought the Behringer, it's twice as big as I was expecting :)  Does loads more than I actually need, but as a monitor controller it's great, sounds brilliant and keeps the stereo imaging right even at very low volume.  Some of the knobs feel a bit cheap, but for £100 I'm not complaining