Monitor stands

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
edited August 2020 in Studio & Recording
My main PC desk is a reworked fire place (at some point, someone blocked up and plastered it so I now have a tidy little side room where I can practise, record and teach from (online lessons).  The desk was made for me so it fits perfectly and I have space either side.

However, since Covid has hit, I have to have a space to work from.  Ive had a rejig and below is how stands right now. However, my problem is where do I put my monitors.  I wondered about wall mouting them on some brackets similar to these:

https://www.thebarcodewarehouse.co.uk/shop/elo/accessories/e143088/?ppc_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv8GFm8u56wIVw7HtCh38kAHZEAQYASABEgKt8vD_BwE

this way, they could be on the walls up out of the way, be actually at ear height etc.  However, Ive been advised that the monitors may give some weird bass responses as they are mounted to the walls. Would that be a fair comment?

If so, I may have to reconsider my plan, make the shelf smaller and put the monitors in where my Helix LT currently resides. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Ideally you want the seating position about 38% along the length of the wall and the monitors to form an equilateral triangle to your ears.

Otherwise you are compromising but unless you are spending proper money on acoustics then everything about a home studio is a compromise in one for or another.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    The ideal place for monitors is on solid stands. From the photo it doesn't look like that will be possible. If you go for the wall brackets bear three things in mind:
    1, That the tweeters are at ear level.
    2, That you put sorbothane hemspheres under the monitors to minimise sound flanking through the brackets and directly exciting the wall.
    3, What octatonic said about having a symmetrical, equilateral triangle.

It is possible to get weird bass responses. Can I ask what acoustic treatment your room has and where it is?