Vintage(jhs) Music Man Stingray copy neck question

spev11spev11 Frets: 327
As a rubbish guitarist i've decided to try abusing a bass guitar next, I've been offered a Vintage Bass(as in the title) but would like a narrow neck, as I cant see the bass before I buy it can anyone tell me the dimensions of one if they have them? Or how it compares to the bass its based on?
ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spev11spev11 Frets: 327
    Ah, didn't make it clear,I've had a borrow of an original stingray and ,even with my limited experience liked the profile of the neck, hence the questions
    Ta
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    The published nut width for the JHS/Vintage ‘Ray Bass is 42.5mm. (Very similar to the real thing.) A typical figure for a Fender Jazz Bass is 38mm. A proper Precision Bass is a gnat’s over 44mm.

For a Stingray style bass guitar with a narrow string spacing like a Fender Jazz Bass, look no further than some of Ernie Ball Music Man’s own Sterling and SUB series instruments.

The nut width statistic tells you very little about the neck depth and profile. The JHS/Vintage shape and finish are unlikely to be up to the standards of an American instrument that costs six times as much.

Unless the bass you have been offered is extremely inexpensive, you might get a better deal with a brand new Harley-Benton.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Cheers funkfingers, to be fair it is exceptionally cheap so I may just give it a go. Given my inexperience I can't imagine it'll make much difference until I reach my zenith of "I recognise that" usually in a voice of thinly disguised disbelief utterly by my wife (my goals are small)
    The recent versions with a three-band active EQ should suffice for learning and home demo recordings.

The plus side is that you can dial up a wide variety of sounds to suit most occasions.

The minus side is that you can dial up a wide variety of sounds ... to the extent that you might create something that was impressive when you chose it but which does not sit well in a full band arrangement.

There is a reason why a Fender Precision Bass with flatwound strings is probably the most recorded bass guitar sound ever.

You do have a point, I got rid of my modelling amp and replaced it with a simple tube head to stop me buggering about,  I'll give the passive vintage copy a go and see how I get on, at the price it is i can't complain.  Cheers for the help everyone
    edited August 2020
    spev11 said:
    passive vintage copy
    Now, he tells us that it's passive. [Rolls eyes.]

TBH, even if the pickup is badged Wilkinson, there will be limits to its sonic capabilities with only a treble roll-off tone control. If there are three control pots, one of them might be a variable coil split - similar to the first generation OLP 'Ray-alike.

If you like the way the instrument plays, it might be worth upgrading the electronics in the longer term. EMG, John East and others make suitable components.