"Leaning" tuner bushes, is this normal?

What's Hot
Most of my guitars are fitted with the type of tuners that have a nut retaining the bushings, but my Atkin has the "vintage" style push-in bushings so I'm less familiar with what's normal. Should they be leaning like this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    Doesn’t look right to me, give Alistair a call at Atkins, he’s always been very helpful when I’ve dealt with him. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72447
    No, but they often do if the bushings aren’t a tight enough fit in the holes. It’s not really a problem, although it doesn’t look great...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited August 2020
    I think I realise what causes this? The headstock tapers ever so slightly in depth, no doubt by design. So,  when the body of the tuner is flush-mounted to the rear face of the headstock, the bush inserted from the front mounts parallel to the tuner not the face of headstock.

I guess I should ignore it and play on?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14475
    JCA2550 said:
    I think I realise what causes this.
    String tension causes it.

The pull on the machinehead post squeezes against the inner surface of the bushing. If there is insufficient grip between the bushing splines and the side of the drilled hole, the bushing rides upwards.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Take the bushes out and wrap some PTFE tape around them... then re seat them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom