Anyone use a Zoom H2N? Question

I use the Zoom H2N to record all our band practices, and in general it does a fine job. We can't get the vocal loud enough in the mix at the moment though, ad we suspect it's a combination of a few things.

What I'd like to do, is have the external mics pick up the band, and have the line out from the singers channel in the PA go straight into the mic IN on the Zoom.

In theory I think this could work, but wondered if anyone had done it in practice?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    Is it just the singer going through the PA?  If it is then have you tried experimenting with placement?  Point the Zoom at the PA and it'll pick up more singer (relative to how else you can arrange the room/volume levels etc).  Mics see what they're pointed at, so the easiest way of making something louder is pointing the mic at it, likewise you can make something appear quieter to the mic by putting it away from where it picks up (e.g. the rear).

Here are the two polar patterns for the H2N.  Looks like you can vary how much side mic is in M/S mode after the recording if you use 'raw mode'. http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h2n

We use a H1 which is X/Y only and with decent placement it manages fine even in rehearsal rooms with crappy PAs.  It really depends on how you can set up the room though.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922

@guitarfishbay

Thanks for the advice man. I think that might be the best/easiest option. I've had the zoom on the floor, but close toe he monitors. However, the monitors are angled upwards, so a lot of the sound may be travelling over the top of the mic. Plus the amps are on the floor, so are probably getting straight to the mic on the Zoom. Think I'll put the zoom on a low tripod, but in direct line for the monitor, and angle the amps outward, away(ish) from the zoom.

Doesn't help that the other guitarist doesn't give anyone any time to set up/experiment, has a bad case of the turn upsies, and then complains about the quality of the recording. Might be time for broken fingers.

• GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    edited July 2014
    Not sure why you use monitors for band practices? Be wise to get the guitar amp(s) off the floor so you can hear yourselves better too mate. Sounds like your other guitarist needs a slap! We use the H2 and it's really good.
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922
    Guitarse said:
    Not sure why you use monitors for band practices? Be wise to get the guitar amp(s) off the floor so you can hear yourselves better too mate. Sounds like your other guitarist needs a slap! We use the H2 and it's really good.

It's jus the vocals that are coming out of the monitors, as that's all that goes into the PA in the room. Might try some movement of stuff though.

Other guitarist never puts his amp up off the floor, and I got sick of doing it for him. When I put mine up, he just complained that all he could hear was my amp (lol).

We'll play around a bit I guess, but I can see a group participant hissy fit coming on.

• GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    "I can see a group participant hissy fit coming on"

Hahaa, WTF is wrong with some people eh? We're really lucky our band has no one like that (met plenty over the years though). Comes with age I guess. We're all 40 something,

Never ever bloody anything, ever!