Juke box hero

What's Hot
I'd never heard of this song but apparently according to our bassist it was very popular in the 80s.

Was quite fun playing it and writing a solo for it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    Good job, I like it. Surprised you'd not heard this one. Foreigner 4 is a great album. Urgent is my fave on that.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

I’ve never thought of them as a consistently great band ( and they went on well after they should have retired ) but they hit their peak with Foreigner 4. Thomas Dolby on the synths on the album before he had a successful solo career as a synth pop artist. Motown ace Junior Walker plays the sax on Urgent. 
    Mick Jones of Foreigner played in French bands in the 1960s and had The Beatles support him. His step son is the producer Mark Ronson [I watched quite a long interview with him on TV once and that’s what I got from it, terrible interviewee].
    Sorry, will get around to watching the clip. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Very nice. 

Juke Box Hero is in the the musical/ film Rock of Ages which perhaps gives it a bit of contemporary resonance although they deeply f*** it up in that. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4159
    edited August 2020
    Wow Baz can’t believe it , used to hear this one plus urgent and cold as ice all the time as a kid 
      My uncle ,cousin and I liked foreigner ps great job as always , and wow what a great video, You guys are so clever 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    Cheers,  I need ti check out more Foreigner I reckon.  He had a powerful voice for sure. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited August 2020

I’ve never thought of them as a consistently great band ( and they went on well after they should have retired ) but they hit their peak with Foreigner 4. Thomas Dolby on the synths on the album before he had a successful solo career as a synth pop artist. Motown ace Junior Walker plays the sax on Urgent. 
    Mick Jones of Foreigner played in French bands in the 1960s and had The Beatles support him. His step son is the producer Mark Ronson [I watched quite a long interview with him on TV once and that’s what I got from it, terrible interviewee].
    Sorry, will get around to watching the clip. 
    Nicely done.

Lou Gramm live was one of the best live vocalists I've ever heard and he delivered until he became ill. He did a great one-off project with guitarist Vivian Campbell (Sweet Savage, Dio, Whitesnake, Def Leppard) called Shadow King but I digress.

I saw Foreigner a few years ago on a triple bill with Journey and Styx and they were excellent. The new-ish but not young (59) singer, Kelly Hansen was/is a great singer and frontman and the band were hot. 

Mick Jones only came out for a couple of numbers as he, too, had been ill and I'm not even sure if he plays live with them anymore.

I, too, loved 'Urgent' and Foreigner 4 but they got their big hit and 'evergreen' in 'I want to know what love is' and probably rested on their laurels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    There's a great live version of Juke Box Hero that segues into Whole Lotta Love that's worth searching for.
    Another +1 for the Foreigner 4 album. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4159
    edited August 2020
    Cheers,  I need ti check out more Foreigner I reckon.  He had a powerful voice for sure. 
    They’re really good ,they sometimes tour with other AOR acts now like journey ,Reo speedwagon ,Styx etc  . Loads of good albums . They had Jeff Pilsen, the bassist out of Dokken playing with them a while ago . My uncle n cousin were massive AOR fans so heard a lot of this stuff 

• lots of pop up ads now for Foreigner stuff, I don't mind. They seem to have almost endlessly messed around with JBH as every live version is slightly different but a good few with a chunk of Whole Lotta Love thrown in - I don't know if only when they had Jason Bonham in the band. They really milk the dynamics loud/ quiet aspect of the song - I think Baz's band will really get something out of this live.      
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @EricTheWeary that's Great version cheers.   I was thinking of adding some slow funky wah over the intro before the vocals come in as one adaptation.