Slaving a Mesa 20/20 through a Marshall 20/20?

Possible? Or would I need a more power?
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    They’re both power amps of the same power output so you won’t really gain anything compared to simply running them in parallel. You will get twice the overall power, but you will need four cabs (or two stereo ones).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks @ICBM Thought as much. I'm on the hunt for anotther pair of ADA Split-stack 212's.
  • ICBM said:
    They’re both power amps of the same power output so you won’t really gain anything compared to simply running them in parallel. You will get twice the overall power, but you will need four cabs (or two stereo ones).
    Nb you will get twice the overall power but not twice the overall volume
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    maltingsaudio said:

Nb you will get twice the overall power but not twice the overall volume
    Yes, although if you're also using twice the number of speaker cabs it will be more effective than simply doubling the power.

I would still run them in parallel though, unless there's a pressing reason you need to control them both from the first amp. It will give you a cleaner signal to the second amp and no possibility of overdriving it before it reaches its full headroom.

I read up on the ADA cabs and it appears they're fitted with Celestion G12S-50s... these are not an efficient speaker, and if you just want more volume you'd probably do at least as well to replace them with something more sensitive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM Cheers, yes the G12S-50's aren't the most efficient and I do plan to swap them out before (hopefully) playing out again next year, having said that they are considerably better than I thought at first so while volume is an issue, tone isn't so I'll have to choose carefully.