Latency type issue in Reaper

Hi all

I have been playing with Reaper and getting some reasonable results, but one thing is puzzling me.

When I play there's a delay/ echo, almost like a slapback type thing, so I really have to concentrate to keep things in time (and sometimes I get so confused I have to start again!). I'm sure that there's a setting I need to change (I hope so at least). 

The delay is only present when recording - the playback of what I record is fine.

Any ideas? I am using a ProSonus AudioBox interface.

Martin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6171
    edited September 2020
    Turn off monitoring (for the input track) in Reaper and monitor your playing via the Mixer dial on the PreSonus interface.

If you're using an amp/cab plugin, however, you're stuffed.
  • If you are tracking through effects then disable direct monitoring on the interface and turn on monitoring on reaper.

If you are monitroing through a physical amp etc then turn off record monitoring on the track in reaper and leave it on in the interface.

Also sounds like you might have a high latency so try adjusting the ASIO settings to a lower buffer size. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Cheers chaps. Due to space issues I have to get all the kit out and set it up each time I record, so I will look at what you suggest above tonight or later in the week.

However, all I am doing at present is plugging the guitar direct into the interface and playing minus effects. I add Reaper effects afterwards. My hope is to use my Pod 2.0 or record via a mic'd up amp as I progress, but I think I need to sort my settings first!

Where would I find the ASIO settings and what's the optimum buffer size?
  • OK - I have followed the advice above and now all is fine - I've managed to get a track down very easily on guitar... except I also have an issue with MIDI.

I have an AKAI midi keyboard and have assigned some simple sounds to the pads in order to play along to my guitar line, but there is a lag. I can tap along in time to music quite well, but using the pads is out of time - is there another setting I can alter?

I don't know much about MIDI, but I don't seem to have the same issue making beats in AKAI Beats software.