Jazz funk

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
Big Miles fan here and his funk period was pretty cool......who else does that genre just as well?

not looking for a watered down jazz element though
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    edited September 2020
    Love this style of music. I love Miles Davis. 

The thing about Miles was that although he was clearly funk influenced, and a lot of his stuff was funky- all of that stuff from Bitches Brew was groove based, rather than being jazz funk per se. I’d check out the video of him at the Isle of Wight Festival which I watched the other day. Some of it is undoubtedly funky, but some of the rhythms are pure heavy rock. On the Corner is a very funky record, but even then he’s got a lot of polyrhythms going on, inspired by Indian music. Agharta from 1975 is very heavy funk at times. Whack it on and turn the track ‘Prelude’ up full. Better than any drug. 

Right at the beginning (late 60s) some of Canonball Adderley’s stuff was pretty funky. 

Herb is Hancock’s Headhunters is often held up as a key album. 

Lonnie Liston Smith’s Expansions is a great record. 

Billy Cobham’s Spectrum is fabulous- a lot of jazz rock fusion (especially with the brilliant Tommy Bolin on guitar) but some tracks are pure funk. 

In a similar vein, some of the Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff (Visions of the Emerald Beyond and Inner Worlds) saw them get funkier at times than they were on the earlier records. Plus you get McLaighlin’s playing! 

Right up to date, Ezra Collective use a lot of jungle and rum and bass rhythms, but they know how to groove and a lot is very funky. God can they play. 

If you want a broad overview, I can highly recommend a radio show on Jazz FM, which is Jeff Young’s show called The Journey. Sunday morning 10-1 (there’s a listen again on the website too). I listen to it every week. He plays some fabulous stuff, and it’s all jazz funk and its near relative soul-jazz. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
    edited September 2020
    Red

I am going through Mile's Montreux  box set at the mo and it is wonderful...on disc 5
    tae be or not tae be
  • Miles was pretty unique.  Compared to other jazz/funk/fusion guys his music is, for want of a better word, messier.  The formula is get some of the best players in the world, get the skeleton of an idea, and go for it.  It's naturally hit and miss: even the studio albums are often different sections of jams stitched together by his producer.

His contemporaries tend to be much more controlled.  There's improvisation but it's more within boundaries, cleaner, more planned, not the loose group improv of Miles's bands.  For me it's a different style of music and you could easily like one but not the other. Redlester has run through some of the options.  I don't think it follows that if you like electric Miles you'll like that stuff, but you should give it a chance.

(One curiosity I listened to recently is Witches Stew, by Lettuce, which is their take on the Bitches Brew music.  The guitarist is Eric Krasno, a player I always enjoy).
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Hiromi might be worth checking out.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Yeah, really like Miles jazz funk stuff. I have some of them on vinyl. I like Jazz fun in general.
    fob said:
    I'm a big fan of Hiromi! An amazing natural talent.

• Maybe this, @Hootsmon:

• fob said:

Wow the skills on display there are INSANE
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    JerkMoans said:
    fob said:

Wow the skills on display there are INSANE
    That’s a pretty damned good trio! Is it Phillips and Clarke?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4185
    edited September 2020
    Redlester said:

Billy Cobham’s Spectrum is fabulous- a lot of jazz rock fusion (especially with the brilliant Tommy Bolin on guitar) but some tracks are pure funk. 

Superb record - probably best known these days for the sample that Massive Attack lifted out of the track 'Stratus', but that would be to miss the rest of the album which would be a crying shame!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom