Help get me started

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MacBook Pro 2012  is a real winner and wallet friendly 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is a really helpful thread guys - I'm at a similar point as the OP, got a 2011 MacBook Pro running high Sierra with an SSD (had it since new - it's had a new motherboard in that time) and just starting out. Got a Native Instruments Komplete audio 1 interface on the way and now trying to figure out which software to use, which apparently is a DAW.

What I hadn't considered is that the limit on which OS I can run would affect my choice here - Logic seems to be the default choice, would I have trouble sharing those documents if I needed to? I've got garageband already, is it worth learning that first then moving up the ladder once I know what's what?

Sorry to hijack your thread OP! Hope these questions are relevant to you too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is a really helpful thread guys - I'm at a similar point as the OP, got a 2011 MacBook Pro running high Sierra with an SSD (had it since new - it's had a new motherboard in that time) and just starting out. Got a Native Instruments Komplete audio 1 interface on the way and now trying to figure out which software to use, which apparently is a DAW.

What I hadn't considered is that the limit on which OS I can run would affect my choice here - Logic seems to be the default choice, would I have trouble sharing those documents if I needed to? I've got garageband already, is it worth learning that first then moving up the ladder once I know what's what?

Sorry to hijack your thread OP! Hope these questions are relevant to you too!
    I'd start off with Garageband on macOS rather than buying a copy of Logic. Learn how to record using something inexpensive.  

I do the majority of my recording on an iPad Pro, using Garageband for iPadOS . I've got an Audient Sono audio interface which has a USB connection, but it all works fine using an Apple Camera kit/USB adapter.

I can also run Logic Pro on my MacBook Pro (running Catalina), but only use it when friends send me Logic projects to work with. I know Logic is great, but it wasn't the thing that was holding me back from making better recordings or compositions. I'm a guitarist, not a recording engineer. I found the learning curve too distracting. GB on iPadOS is more my speed.

I don't use Garageband for macOS at all - but that's not a reflection on GB, just my preference for the iPadOS version. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom