What coated strings?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    edited September 2020

D'Addario coated strings never seem to last much longer than a regular set, although there are a lot of fakes on the internet so it's possible at least some of the ones I've had weren't genuine.
    That raise a good point about internet comments in general; not just strings, but pickups, microphones... anything really.

How many negative comments posted on forums are from someone who's bought a fake, assumed it was real so judged the real product from their experiences with a fake?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    I suppose that is true. The D'addario XT set I bought from Amazon themselves (not a thrid party via Amazon) so I would imagine they're legit? Either way they were no different to normal XLs. Nice looking box though.
  • I've generally tried to get strings from actual bricks and mortar music shops, even if it's via their eBay shop. I tend to avoid the listings at "too good to be true" prices too. If one UK seller charges £11 for a set of coated strings, how is another going to sell genuine ones for £5?

I'm also trying to support my local music shop with small purchases like that- there's only one left in the city (there were four when I moved here 9 years ago). Either method seems to reduce the possibility of getting fakes.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Bidley said:
    I suppose that is true. The D'addario XT set I bought from Amazon themselves (not a thrid party via Amazon) so I would imagine they're legit? Either way they were no different to normal XLs. Nice looking box though.
    Did they wear out just as quickly?

I think I got them from D'addario directly as a test sample when they first came out (so the least chance of fakery) and remember them feeling exactly like normal ones. Which is, of course, the point - that they feel like normal ones but last longer.

When I got them I put them on one Strat and normals on another Strat the same day to test the longevity but then I forgot all about it and changed them both for other reasons before either wore out lol.
    I've generally tried to get strings from actual bricks and mortar music shops, even if it's via their eBay shop. I tend to avoid the listings at "too good to be true" prices too. If one UK seller charges £11 for a set of coated strings, how is another going to sell genuine ones for £5?

I'm also trying to support my local music shop with small purchases like that- there's only one left in the city (there were four when I moved here 9 years ago). Either method seems to reduce the possibility of getting fakes.
    Maybe I should start buying them from an actual shop to support it. I don't use small time shops at all, it's always guitar guitar but they do take note of how much gets sold in store vs online and I'd be gutted of they ever closed the shop.
    thegummy said:
    Bidley said:

I think I got them from D'addario directly as a test sample when they first came out (so the least chance of fakery) and remember them feeling exactly like normal ones. Which is, of course, the point - that they feel like normal ones but last longer.

When I got them I put them on one Strat and normals on another Strat the same day to test the longevity but then I forgot all about it and changed them both for other reasons before either wore out lol.

Depends what you mean by wear out - they might have stayed zingier for a bit longer but they went black and manky just as quickly. The EXPs I used to use lasted ages and ages in comparison.
    Bidley said:
    thegummy said:
    Bidley said:

Depends what you mean by wear out - they might have stayed zingier for a bit longer but they went black and manky just as quickly. The EXPs I used to use lasted ages and ages in comparison.
    As much as I was having a laugh with the "pit" comment, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about with guitar strings going black and manky lol
    I must have acid sweat. Uncoated strings turn black and grimy for me pretty quickly. Coated strings prevent this.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    nanoweb over optiweb Elixirs for me 
    Cleartone were a clear no in/with my hands/sweat