Presonus Studio One 5 - has anyone upgraded?

I’ve been using 4 for a while and love it! I bought the upgrade to 5 but haven’ it installed yet cos I don’t know how different t it will be! Will it mean relearning the basics I’ve been doing in 4? I bought a couple of tuition videos for 4 which I haven’t watched yet (just been finding my way round ‘intuitively’!). Would I be better getting to know 4 better (using these videos) or would anyone recommend just taking the plunge and installing 5???

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    I'm still on 4. The upgrade price felt a little steep to me given that they don't seem to have fixed the things I'd hoped they would (track freezing mechanics, no automation in the project view).

However...over the last few weeks I've started getting some really weird bugs like the insert bypass buttons not working right and really strange routing/ muting bugs, so I guess at some point I'll need to upgrade in the hope of stability/ reliability improvements.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    Sorry, that was more of a moan than a helpful reply!

If you've bought the upgrade to 5, I'd install that - there aren't any major workflow changes that I can see, so everything you picked up in 4 will still be valid.
  • I got an upgrade through work, and to be quite honest, I've not used any of the new features really! It's just a standard thing that we all need to be on the latest DAWs for testing purposes. The only one I don't have a proper version for is Cubase. I have Cubase Elements, but that's it. It's quite behind.

But Studio One right now is my "go to" DAW. I just love the workflow.

Version 5 wont require relearning the basics, and if you don't have the basics down pat yet, then upgrading is going to do nothing for you quite honestly.

Bye!

• BodBod Frets: 1316
    I've upgraded from 4 Pro and I'd go as far as to say you probably won't notice a lot of the new features unless you go looking for them, so I wouldn't worry too much about installing.  
  • Thanks all - as I suspected! 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Yes, I have.
    I like to stay current, mostly to avoid having to be hit with a massive upgrade price down the line.
    It is mostly the same- it is rare any new release will be a massive workflow difference, as it alienates customers when things change.
  • I just got started with Studio One 5 (hopped over from Ableton)...had some learning to do but manual/google/youtube got me rolling B)
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    Long term Studio One Pro user - this is the first upgrade I haven’t taken. There was not one new feature that I could imagine using. I generally like to have the latest version because the older ones don’t get support, and equally I don’t mind investing in my hobby to keep up to date. I guess I’ll cave in and buy 5 eventually, but right now I have zero need for it. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    No one gone for Sphere ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Nah not I

Bye!

• spark240 said:
    No one gone for Sphere ?
    Nope...weighed it up for a bit but just opted for Pro in the end (coming from Ableton Live Suite).
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    I haven't done either yet....I dont think Sphere is for me...so probably go with straight upgrade when they fix it ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • BodBod Frets: 1316
    spark240 said:
    No one gone for Sphere ?
    I have, but I only through a free 4 month trial.  I don't envisage paying a sub long term, so I'm waiting for an upgrade offer that I'll use to buy 5 outright.  I have no need for most of the stuff it offers, although I do like the exclusive video content. 
  • Bod said:
    spark240 said:
    No one gone for Sphere ?
    I have, but I only through a free 4 month trial.  I don't envisage paying a sub long term, so I'm waiting for an upgrade offer that I'll use to buy 5 outright.  I have no need for most of the stuff it offers, although I do like the exclusive video content. 
    On a similar note, before buying Pro, I looked at the feature list ( https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/features ) and it appeared to include 'Audio Batch Converter'...but it doesn't! It's an 'add-on' (or included in Sphere of course)...bit crafty listing it on the Studio One features page, imho: everything else on the page comes out-of-the-box, afaict. It's not a deal breaker but it took the shine off a bit ;-/
  • I did. I had the version 4 artist anyway from my interface.
      Made sense for me as was cheaper to upgrade than to pay for a reaper licence.     Main advantage is that I can use external VST's, but I'm too much of a noob to really see any other benefits.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I've gone the Sphere   route as it  just works out well for my needs.     One thing I'm surprised at is the quality of PreSonus VST's, no one ever talks about them, but let me tell you they're up there with the best. The other thing about Sphere is that there's regular exclusive video content to learn how to do stuff in Studio One 5 and general music production stuff too.  I've only recently started using Studio One  so this has been very useful .  I previously used Samplitude  ProX for many years and it's so hard to learn stuff about Samp as there's not a lot of content about.  There's so much stuff available on Studio One, it's refreshing.
    I'm finding Studio One 5 to be pretty awesome, although I think it'll probably take a while to get fully versed in every aspect of it, as I am in Samp.