70s ibanez pot replacement. T

musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
edited September 2020 in Making & Modding
Can anyone give some advice on a suitable replacement volume pot on a 70s ibanez pe  guitar. 

I've tried spraying it with some servisol but no joy , still cuts out and only seems to work when you get to around 8 on the dial before cutting out again. 

The guitar is an 70s ibanez  fitted with super 70 pickups with a  a tri sound pickup in the neck position..  Would this make a difference to the pot selection?

Would a standard d
CTS pot would do the job and fit the speed knob. 

https://ibb.co/sszRZkN

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    I would use an Alpha - that's an old Noble pot which will have an 8mm bushing, and a CTS will both need the hole in the wood enlarging and may not fit the knob... risky, if you crack it and it's the original type which are hard to find.

You need a 500K audio taper (Log).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• blobbblobb Frets: 3010
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • How is the pot casing held together? If it uses bent over steel tabs, it should be possible to carefully bend these open, granting access to the innards for thorough cleaning or replacement.

To be fair, complete replacement would be less work. You could even choose to use a push-pull pot, in case you fancy adding a switch function to the circuit. 

There is an argument for repurposing the relevant tone pot as the replacement volume pot. Then, use your brand new replacement part as the tone control. A push-pull could switch between capacitor values for treble roll off.

One other possibility that should fit is a Shadow momentary Kill Pot. Problem is, these tend not to withstand enthusiastic pummelling for very long.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks for the advice.  Will go down 
    the Alpha pot route as it seems the easiest option ,  I did know a repairer who would open the pot and turn the carbon strip inside so the wiper would go onto a fresh section, I tried it once could never get the cover back on.

Thanks again