Voodoo Lab won't power on :(

What's Hot
MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
edited July 2014 in FX
Hi everyone,

My 'Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 +' won't turn on. I've tried using a different power cable and different mains and it still won't turn on (The LED doesn't come on either).

I've had this pedal for about 6 months and have been happy with it and got it primarily because of its great reviews so I'm a bit surprised it's not working. Unfortunately the warranty only covers North America and the manual says to contact your distributor. I'm going to contact the store I bought it from to discuss having it replaced/repaired etc.

What I want to know is are there reasons this may have happened?

The pedals I used it to power were:

-Joyo compressor
-Boss DS-2 (I literally just bought this second hand and used it 3 times with no problems).
-Ds-1
-Crybaby Wah
-Boss Ch-1
-Boss Tuner
-Digitech screaming blues

If the DS-2 had something wrong with it, could that have broken my power supply?

All of these are well within the mA limit so I am baffled. Could it just be a faulty supply?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    MazzaG said:
     Unfortunately the warranty only covers North America and the manual says to contact your distributor. I'm going to contact the store I bought it from to discuss having it replaced/repaired etc.

If you bought it new from a UK store you have 12 months warranty from them.

Which store was it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    MazzaG said:
     Unfortunately the warranty only covers North America and the manual says to contact your distributor. I'm going to contact the store I bought it from to discuss having it replaced/repaired etc.

If you bought it new from a UK store you have 12 months warranty from them.

Which store was it?
    Thanks for a speedy reply, it was this store:

http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/
    From their T&Cs.

7. WARRANTY
    The Seller warrants that the Goods will at the time of dispatch correspond to the description given by the Seller. Except where the Buyer is dealing as a Consumer, all other warranties, conditions, or terms relating to fitness for purpose, merchantability or condition of the Goods, whether implied by Statute, common law or otherwise are excluded, and the Buyer is satisfied as to the suitability of the Goods for the Buyer’s purpose. The standard warranty is 12 months for new items unless specified otherwise, pre owned items carry a warranty of 3 months, perishable items such as amplifier valves carry a warranty of 90 days.

If it's broke it's down to them to repair/replace it. 
    edited July 2014
    Thank you very much DJ!

Now I need to know why this happened...I would hate to get a refurbished/new one back only for it to happen again.

I always make sure all pedals are off before I unplug the power supply from the extension cable and then turn off at the mains (this is the correct procedure, right?)

Sorry to sound so 'herp derp' but I have a problem accepting that things can just go wrong, there always has to be a reason!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24296
    They should give you a new one.

It is a professional bit of kit. Not some cheap pile of arse.

Sale Of Goods Act 1979 Section 14 (ii) (a,b,c,d) 

Covers it.
    @fretmeister what's the situation with return postage costs and delivery of the replacement? Should both be covered by the store? (I'm assuming they should)
    Reading from the website the store will cover the return costs if the product is faulty
    Is there any way that this second hand DS-2 could have damaged the power supply in some way?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    MazzaG said:
    Is there any way that this second hand DS-2 could have damaged the power supply in some way? 
    Yes, but only if the pedal has a short - almost always the protection diode. Try the pedal with a battery, and if it works then it's not the cause. Even then, I suspect that wouldn't shut down the whole PP2, just the outlet supplying that pedal. To stop the whole supply working, I would suspect a mains spike/voltage surge rather than anything to do with the pedals. I would guess the internal fuse has blown, but if it's under warranty it might be best not to poke around inside to find out.

There is also no need to turn the pedals off before turning the supply off, if it matters.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited July 2014
    There is a 5 year warranty on Voodoolab.
    Contact them directly- they have always been terrific with me.

I know the manual says contact the distributor but you will probably have better success going direct.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited July 2014
    There was a period where estranged SG people at Tone World (sadly now defunct) were distributing Voodoo Lab.

A friend bought a Wampler pedal from SG which when it went wrong they wanted nothing to do with as TW were the distributors of them also by then.

He threatened them with the Sale of Goods Act and got a replacement.

Voodoo Lab are handled by Westside (Boogie & Martin distributors) now IIRC.

Might be worth dropping them an e-mail.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Just a minor point, have you tried a different kettle lead? You may have just blown a fuse in the plug or summat.
    I've only ever managed to kill a single outlet on a PP2 (the original, have yet to destroy a plus model!), not the whole unit. I doubt a single pedal could do all 8 outlets. Unless you daisy chained that single pedal into all of them...!
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6154
    tFB Trader
    My pp2 died after five years solid use. Contacted voodoo lab and paid fifteen quid to ship it to the states. It's was back with a new transformer in my hands within three weeks. I know yours will be replaced by the uk distributor but I just thought I'd give props to voodoo lab as they are truly awesome.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    If it's definitely under 6 months old then it's up to the shop to prove that you broke it and that it wasn't inherently faulty, there's a later act that covers this but I can't remember or find exactly what it's called at the moment though it's mentioned here in the section titled 'what proof do you need?'

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange
    Thank you for all of the advice guys!

I did try a different kettle lead and it made no difference, as well as replacing the fuse in the original one.

Had a pleasant exchange of emails with the store, I'll be sending them the pedal for repairs.
  • Maybe get in contact with Westside Distribution too.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Did you get this sorted? I just got mine and I'm filling out the warranty card but clearly it won't apply for UK!
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    My 4x4 went pop a couple of weeks ago, I took it back to the shop who sent it back for me within a week I had a new one from voodoo lab.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    What a disaster - how long had you owned it? 
    I don't think I'd buy a spare power supply (for gigs) - I'd rather rely on a second amp (with 2 channels) or something going into the PA.
  • NotNowJohnNotNowJohn Frets: 187
    My PP2+ also died after 6 months. I sent it back to the UK dealer who replaced it with a new one. I never did find out what was wrong with it.