Discovering Reaper plugins, one reverb at a time

What's Hot
ijontyijonty Frets: 32
edited September 2020 in Studio & Recording
Hi folks

I’ve never really found the right sounds in my experimentation with plugins, so would like your expert help.

I figured I’d keep it simple by choosing just one sound to chase at a time.

So first up is this dark reverb typical of bands like Joy Division, and more recently a band I’ve just discovered, Bambara:

Can people suggest the best way to get this sort of sound? I’m only an amateur really and I’m sure to many it will be obvious, but I’d love some help.

I have a tele, with a Cornell amp.

I’ve dabbled in plug-ins, but never found anything that felt rich. It may be me just using them wrong, but all of them felt really artificial. Perhaps because I was just using free ones?

Any help really appreciated!

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3675
    edited September 2020
    I use IRs in reaper.  You can find a lot of free IRs of the reverb of old churches ot buildings which can be dark and dense.

here is a bunch of classic lexicon verbs
    https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/reaverb-part-1

you can also get guitar cab IRs which I use a lot. 

But, if you are not doing it already, you can also have a dedicated reverb track to use, EQ, etc on the existing reverb to adjust or darken it,  You can send an instrument to a new track. Add the reverb to the fx on the new track and set it to 100% wet.  You can then add eq before or after the reverb.  The reverb track fader controls the level.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Great thanks, so it’s all about the dark dense reverb? I have a Mooer Radar so maybe IRs are the way to go

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Have a look at the free stuff from Valhalla, amazing for reverbs.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    andy_k said:
    Have a look at the free stuff from Valhalla, amazing for reverbs.
    Yeah, Supermassive is epic.
  • Dragonfly reverbs are well worth a visit. I've only just started exploring but consider me impressed.

I'm normally a Reaverb user, particularly using UST pickups and IRs made using JonFields45 and Cuki79's algorithm as discussed over on AGF.

If in doubt, check out Kenny Gioia's YT vids.
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    @Strativarius Thanks for that it's added a whole new set of reverbs to my toolbox.
    Don't touch that dial.