NHCD: Heel cap replacement by Avalon

danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
edited October 2020 in Making & Modding
My Avalon A2-20 had a heel cap strap button which made it unbalanced to play standing up (with my strap setting and 'body shape' - read dad-bod). I'm happy to tackle a strap button install but leaving a hole behind was not really an option on such a guitar so I figured I'd see if it could be fixed to the same standard as the rest of the guitar was built. Being finished in Nitro helps in this situation.

I contacted Avalon to see whether they would undertake such repairs (their website states they accept all guitars really and are fully equipped for a wide range of repairs). The entire experience was new to me. I've taken guitars to luthiers before and have found it to be an game of chance. Sometimes they don't take guitars for a long time, sometimes it will be 8 weeks (at least the good ones around here that I've interacted with). Shipping a guitar was a concern but given the fact that it's in a Hiscox, I didn't really mind it. 

Avalon provided me with a very reasonable, fully insured two way shipping quote and provided me with a label for collection the following day. Within a couple of days of arriving, the heel has already been replaced.

The full work order:

1. Replace heel cap
2. Refinish heel/blend finish to same standard
3. Fret dress, setup, pickup install and new saddles
4. Install strap pin in new position

They were kind enough to supply photos of the process so far:

I took a photo before it left for reference.

IMG-8408

IMG-7992

IMG-7989

IMG-7987

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pickup install and checking string loudness levels

IMG-8065 IMG-8248 IMG-8068 IMG-8066
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rounding off the heel plate corners, blending and touching up finish. I think one final step in terms of polishing back up.

IMG-8254 IMG-8273 unnamed
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    9 our of 10 would have added a pearl dot
  • WezV said:
    9 our of 10 would have added a pearl dot
    The cost of the full replacement cap was such that it did not feel prohibitive. As there were other things that needed doing and it was offered as an option, I went for it.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    yeah, worth doing properly.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    This is the only reason why putting a strap button there isn't a totally stupid idea. It's possible to undo the damage invisibly...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    This is the only reason why putting a strap button there isn't a totally stupid idea. It's possible to undo the damage invisibly...
    Agreed. I've seen photos of neck button placement repairs and it's never 100% back to as it was. I can see the back of heel position working for some, but it felt like the guitar was toppling over and annoying when playing standing. After seeing the photos I've asked them to hold off on installing a strap button. I have another guitar that can fulfil that purpose and I can't undrill that hole...

I had my eye on a high end acoustic locally some time ago and when I asked for better photos in natural light, there was a pearl dot in the middle of the bridge. A 'high end' luthier had determined that drilling a hole through the bridge and installing a bridge doctor on a £5k instrument that probably needed a reset was a sensible solution.
  • Heel has been finished IMG-8344 IMG-8346 IMG-8345 IMG-8347 IMG-8343
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    That looks like top class work.  Nice 
  • Agreed @PeteC. I should receive it back sometime next week and can post some final impressions when I've had an opportunity to play it again.

IMG-8429 IMG-8383 IMG-8385 IMG-8387 IMG-8421 IMG-8423
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Beautiful job.
  • It's on its way back  :)