New build Explorer Finished

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
edited October 2020 in Making & Modding tFB Trader

I will be starting a new build middle of next week. The Explorer will be built from non-traditional woods. The body will be made from Black Limba, the neck will be a three piece, built from Black Limba. The body will have a Burr cap.

It will not be a quick build as I’m not back in the work shop full time yet. There's also a lot of preparation to be done before I start. As Black Limba is very heavy I will need to make a new body jig so the body can be chambered. The build is going to be based on the 58 style Explorer rear routing no pick guard.

Photo of the woods, I'm waiting for the customer to decide what Burr cap to use, all 3 have come from the same Burr. 

The body wood.

Cap 1

Cap 2

Cap 3

The neck wood.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grindergrinder Frets: 11
    Strats and Explorers! Best shapes ever for the solid body electric guitar! :+1: :+1: :+1:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    The 1st burr  fits the shape best I think, but that can sometimes distract the eye. It might make the angles look a little off.    Think I would go for 3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    edited October 2020
    I had to invert the pics to see which looked best to my eye , but I think burr 1 is too busy for an offset shape and the simpler burrs look better.   3 is the “plainest” and looks best with the bold angles of the explorer to me    I’m no expert though !!  

Beautiful wood and looks like It’s going to be a fantastic build btw.   
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    I'm glad that you and Craig are doing this project, looking forward to watching it come together :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader

Not a lot of progress on Explorer, although I have glued up most of the wood now, hopefully tomorrow I can start on making the jig for the body chambers.

A few jobs come in over the weekend that I will be fitting in over the next couple of weeks. I've made a start on a drop top Strat. This will be made from Swamp Ash, a bit of chambering, it willl have a flame Maple cap.

I've also got a Commission for a PRS, this will be Swamp Ash with a Flame Maple cap, the neck is going to be Flame Maple as well, I started to glue the Woods up on this, I'll take some photos in the next day or so. I will be making a second one of similar construction for stock. I always tend to make two PRS’s at a time. As it takes a little while to set up the 3D copy router, you might as well do two at a time.

The other job that's on the bench at the moment is a RB6 this is being made for stock.

The RB6 Is fully chambered as the RB6T but it will not have a F hole. The body weight is 3lb 6oz. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    I like the look of that body with pockets . 
    tFB Trader

Moved along a bit on the Explorer body glued the extra bit on.  I also made the jig for the chamber in of the body. The customers also decided on what cap to use, I can now more on with the built.

Managed to get some work done on the two PRS bodies as well, the caps are now glued on, one Flame Sycamore the other figured Ash, both the bodies are Swamp Ash. They all now ready to have the tops carved. You will see from the photos I have routed round the Ash part of the body and into the cap by about 5 mm, the cap is left much bigger so when it's carved there is less chance of damaging the age of the body.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Am I right in thinking the flamed maple PRS is my commission? It’s looking good :smiley:  that figured ash top also looks amazing, it’ll make for a really unique guitar for someone.

Nice choice on the Explorer top, whoever’s commissioned it!
    Look great. Very interested to see your duplicarve process - I’m about to attempt one by hand ! 
    tFB Trader

Back in the workshop this week near enough full time, got through a lot of work on Explorer in the last two days. The body and neck were glued up before I went away (forgot to put the photos up a week ago).

Yesterday I shaped the back of the neck and routed the neck joint, also route it the control cavity and the switch cavity.

Today I fretted the neck, drilled the holes for the tuners, rounded the edge of the body back in front with a 6mm round over bit. 

The neck is now glued in, tomorrow I'm hoping to finish shaping round the heel of the neck. I need to make templates for the control cavity and switch cavity covers.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

The PRS bodies have now been carved.

I don't do the carving, my friend Simon has 3D copy router who kindly does it for me.

The 3D copy router works by having a master body one side of the machine and a body blank the other side. The master in this instance is one I carved by hands many years ago. I haven't got a video of this being done but the link below show a similar machine doing the carving.

This is my PRS master.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s so cool!
    tFB Trader

The Explorer is finished.

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Looks incredible Graham, Craig is very happy! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks wicked! 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Nice work. It needs to stand on that sofa all weekend. It will make you smile every time you look at it.

Who is doing the finishing and assembly?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Nice work. It needs to stand on that sofa all weekend. It will make you smile every time you look at it.

A chap call Craig, he is a new member on the forum, hopefully we will see some pictures of the finished guitar.

• grindergrinder Frets: 11
    Looks awesome! :+1: 
  • GSPBASSES said:
    Roland said:

A chap call Craig, he is a new member on the forum, hopefully we will see some pictures of the finished guitar.
    That would be me. Hi folks! First post on the forum.

I’m delighted with the work Graham has done. The pictures look great and I look forward to seeing it the flesh. (Thanks also to Dave for the recommendation/introduction.)

This will be the first guitar I’ve bought that hasn’t come pre-finished and assembled, so I’m currently scouring the internet and watching dozens of hours worth of advice on how to fill/finish burr tops to make sure I do Graham’s work justice. I’ll definitely share the results on here.
    Lovely work Graham.  Look forward to seeing the end result Craig.