stupid question regarding XLR cables

What's Hot
Do female jacks and male jacks fit together?

I mean as in the plugs on the end of cables, taking into account the locking clip some have.

Basically, my cables are all run to length and I've got a piece of gear coming in that's gona Sit on my desk and take a feed from my load box.

I figured I can unplug the male XLR from interface, buy an appropriate short female XLR to TRS and use it as a crossover to the new piece of kit which needs a TRS In.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Yea. It’s common practise to link cables to make a longer cable.     Not ideal but works fine when needed.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Yes you should be able to extend an XLR cable by plugging one into another.

Are you planning to connect to the balanced input of a Torpedo CAB by any chance? I have done this from a load/DI box and it does work.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    tekbow said:
    Do female jacks and male jacks fit together?

I mean as in the plugs on the end of cables, taking into account the locking clip some have.

Basically, my cables are all run to length and I've got a piece of gear coming in that's gona Sit on my desk and take a feed from my load box.

I figured I can unplug the male XLR from interface, buy an appropriate short female XLR to TRS and use it as a crossover to the new piece of kit which needs a TRS In.

Small point but they aren't jacks- they are "connectors".
    Also what people call a TRS Jack is actually a plug.
    The Jack is the hole you put it in- the female socket.

Yes, you can extend XLR leads by connecting them together.
    You can also do the same with midi- solder an XLR onto two midi cables (one make, one female) and then use an XLR cable in between them to run very long lengths.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Yes and a convenient way to store lots of XLRs is to chain them all together and put them on a cable reel.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Stuckfast said:
    Yes and a convenient way to store lots of XLRs is to chain them all together and put them on a cable reel.
    I have 3 of these in the studio- one for each of the three XLR cable lengths that I use.
    It is very convenient and saves a lot of space.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    octatonic said:
    Stuckfast said:
    I have 3 of these in the studio- one for each of the three XLR cable lengths that I use.
    It is very convenient and saves a lot of space.
    You can also plug either end of the chain into a cable tester and check the whole lot in one go (of course, if you get a failure you then have to check each one individually to find the culprit).

Having different coloured cable for different lengths is also a time saver.

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Thanks folks :+1:

@Keefy, it is indeed for that very purpose. Will have one arriving next week

Have you ever stuck line level FX Between the loadbox and C.A.B-M in an FX Loop arrangement. Granted the out put wont be balanced, but I'm talking about a short patch cable between the output of a Strymon Brig and CAB input.

@octatonic, not a small point, I'm picky about nomenclature myself and was actually unsure if the terminology was correct whilst writing. If we use the right words, then there's no confusion.

@music wolf, I've started using different coloured Cable for different units, and send/returns.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    tekbow said:

Have you ever stuck line level FX Between the loadbox and C.A.B-M in an FX Loop arrangement. Granted the out put wont be balanced, but I'm talking about a short patch cable between the output of a Strymon Brig and CAB input.

No I haven’t tried that - I’m not sure I have any line level FX!

I have the old Torpedo CAB btw, not the CAB-M. My load box is a DIY unit with a bunch of ceramic resistors and a Maplin audio transformer. I have not been thrilled with the results from using it to put the speaker output through a speaker IR, in fact I get better sounds combining my Revival Drive with the CAB. I don’t know whether the transformer is to blame, or the technique itself.

When you get your CAB-M I recommend you try some free 3rd-party IRs - the free Celestion IRs were miles better than the installed ones.
    Keefy said:
    tekbow said:

No I haven’t tried that - I’m not sure I have any line level FX!

I have the old Torpedo CAB btw, not the CAB-M. My load box is a DIY unit with a bunch of ceramic resistors and a Maplin audio transformer. I have not been thrilled with the results from using it to put the speaker output through a speaker IR, in fact I get better sounds combining my Revival Drive with the CAB. I don’t know whether the transformer is to blame, or the technique itself.

When you get your CAB-M I recommend you try some free 3rd-party IRs - the free Celestion IRs were miles better than the installed ones

I've got a bunch of virtual cabs in my WOS Licence, plus OH and celestion ones, so all good there. Was actually some of the celestion blends I wanted to recreate