Famous 'home made' guitars - Brian May + EVH

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    bbill335 said:
    all john mayall's guitars seem to be, uhhh, "heavily customised"

John ran a sideline of engraving ( ? probably the wrong word) routing out art work onto guitar
    bodies, some people paid a lot of money for that kind of thing.
    Engraving tool went a bit too deep did it?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I thought the guitar Wild Willy Barrett used in the early Otway and Barret days, was a self build, too..?

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited October 2020
    Peter Green’s ?

Ah sorry not home made but maybe home modded lol 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    Dave Evans, Welsh folk guitarist. Probably best known for his song stage fright built all his own guitars. 
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    Steve Morse?
  • Uli Roth's "Sky" guitar, not sure what's his work Vs idea, but it's certainly different.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    usedtobe said:
    I thought the guitar Wild Willy Barrett used in the early Otway and Barret days, was a self build, too..?

Yeah, that was the one he built with his dad supposedly, from a floorboard or bit of fence plank or something. This was The original Les Dawson.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
    drpbier said:
    And the Johnny Marr Jag built from the mash up of a number of vintage Jags he already owned
    The neck profile was copied from his favourite Jaguar neck and the pickups are an attempt to replicate the sound of the Jag he preferred but there’s nothing home-built about it!
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    usedtobe said:

I’m sure I also recall him with some sort of proto-Steinburgeresque cricket bat type thing, and also a console steel which appeared to have been assembled/improvised out of Dexion industrial racking...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

found this photo of some low cost gear

• MarchMarch Frets: 286
    phil_b said:

found this photo of some low cost gear

And now I suddenly want to go and watch Star Fleet.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    How about Les Paul?

His Log guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited October 2020
    I think home made means built from scratch. Modifying what's already there is not the same, and covers too wide a territory. Even modular built or swapping components e.g. necks, pups etc isn't home mode, as it's an assembly and/ or mod issue.  So imo most posts in response don't seem to be relevant. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ColsCols Frets: 7002
    That’s Brian May out then, he went and got a set of Burns pickups out of a shop instead of winding them himself.  Bloody amateur.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    edited October 2020
    Les Paul's The Log and before that one there was The Rail.

https://www.les-paul.com/timeline/red-hot-red/

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• RobertWRobertW Frets: 148
    I don't think EVH's Frankenstrat qualifies as home made, he bought the body and the neck. I don't consider my Warmoth guitar to be home made just because I screwed the body and neck together.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Cols said:
    That’s Brian May out then, he went and got a set of Burns pickups out of a shop instead of winding them himself.  Bloody amateur.
    Nope, he got them out of an old Burns and completely rewound them to many times the number of windings. So I think we'll give him that one! =) :)

https://www.theredspecial.com/2018/01/brian-may-interview-the-red-specials-original-pickups/

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Voxman said:
    Cols said:
    Nope, he got them out of an old Burns and completely rewound them to many times the number of windings. So I think we'll give him that one! =) :)

https://www.theredspecial.com/2018/01/brian-may-interview-the-red-specials-original-pickups/

Wow it never occurred to me he did that. So basically he doesn't use those pickups at all, except as a chassis.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7002
    Voxman said:
    Cols said:

That’s the story of the original attempt at making his own pickups from first principles.  Apparently they sounded good, but didn’t work on bent sites as the magnets had opposing polarities.  He replaced them with store-bought Trisonics as they were the only ones commercially available.