Recording to Zoom H4N Recorder from Mackie Mixer

What's Hot
I’m interested in getting a Zoom recorder to record tracks from my mixer, I’ll be taking the RCA tape outs from mixer into the zoom. I watched a video on YT recently where it described that the incoming sound from mixer can be hot and distort into the zoom, the guy from video recommended some XLR impedance adaptors to connect to the zoom to minimise this issue. Is this correct? Tips greatly appreciated 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    You can just lower the level leaving the mixer on the master fader. The Zoom also has adjustable input sensitivity so it shouldn't be a problem. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    You can just lower the level leaving the mixer on the master fader. The Zoom also has adjustable input sensitivity so it shouldn't be a problem. 
    Thank you @Danny1969 ;

• If your H4N is the same as the H5 discussed there, then using the XLR input will automatically default to 'mic level'. Use the TRS part of the combined input socket for 'line level' which will match better with the desk line level outputs. If your Mackie desk only has XLR outs you could buy some XLR-to-TRS cables.

• If your H4N is the same as the H5 discussed there, then using the XLR input will automatically default to 'mic level'. Use the TRS part of the combined input socket for 'line level' which will match better with the desk line level outputs. If your Mackie desk only has XLR outs you could buy some XLR-to-TRS cables.

Ha! thank you @steamabacus FYI my Mackie is this one can I use the RCA tape outs to the zoom? 

Ha! thank you @steamabacus FYI my Mackie is this one can I use the RCA tape outs to the zoom? 

Yes, the 'tape out' should just be a feed from the main stereo out bus. Just make sure your Zoom recorder is set to 'line' level (which is much higher than mic level)
  • Looking more closely at the pic of that Mackie mixer, it seems the main XLR outs can actually be switched to 'mic' level so that's another way of matching to the Zoom's mic level XLR inputs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn’t even notice that @steamabacus I should have studied the manual