RIP Brian "Licorice" Locking

What's Hot
TeflonTeflon Frets: 225
I dare say not a name familiar to many Fretboarders, but back in the late '50's/early '60's Brian played bass for the likes of Marty Wilde, Terry Dene, Vince Eager, Eddie Cochran, and Gene Vincent (plus others). In '63 he was chosen to replace Jet Harris in "The Shadows" and appeared with them in the film "Summer Holiday".  Along with a few orher musicians, Brian played a key role in the developement of the early British music scene and was a regular player at "The 2is" coffee bar in Old Compton Street.

Brian passed away this morning in a care home in Wales.

Cliff
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    edited October 2020
    Yet another of the influences on young players of the early sixties gone   He was on countless Shads recordings.

Does anyone know how he got the nickname 'Licorice'?

RIP
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Thanks for letting us know Cliff. An interesting life for sure.

RIP Brian.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    My mother is a Cliff/Shads superfan so I've been aware of the extent of Brian's involvement in that scene from an early age - their influence on everything is incalculable.

RIP
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TeflonTeflon Frets: 225
    Jimbro66 said:
    ..........  Does anyone know how he got the nickname 'Licorice'?

RIP
    I understand it was Vince Eager who started calling him "Licorice", as he was also a keen player of the  clarinet (and harmonica).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not many left now of the original Shads (Bennett joined later on)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Only Hank and Bruce and they hardly talk. 
    Friend used to play with Brian and do some local gigs, and another played with Bruce with the Moonlight shadows with Alan Jones on Bass, think he was longest serving Shads bassist. Certainly had some musicians through the ranks since Jet and Tony left. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    Brian came to a couple of Shadow Mania weekends, played a bit of harmonica too. Nice bloke and great musician. Just about Jet Harris's last gig was at my local ... which is also a Shadows club venue. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Brian came to a couple of Shadow Mania weekends, played a bit of harmonica too. Nice bloke and great musician. Just about Jet Harris's last gig was at my local ... which is also a Shadows club venue. 

Mate Phil Kelly played at a few Shadowmania gigs, funny thing with Jet Harris, he asked Phil to come up to his house years ago, and Phil was doing a local pub gig, so Jet said he would come down. Phil called me to get a couple of mates to come along to make it look that he was more popular. :-)

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    Danny1969 said:

Mate Phil Kelly played at a few Shadowmania gigs, funny thing with Jet Harris, he asked Phil to come up to his house years ago, and Phil was doing a local pub gig, so Jet said he would come down. Phil called me to get a couple of mates to come along to make it look that he was more popular. :-)

I met Phil in 2013 ish .... we organized a Shadows master class for Phil to do with about 20 people paying a fair bit a head ... was a nice earn for him which was good as he was ill at the time. In the evening we all moved to my local music pub and Phil played the Loner and some other GM tunes ... Great player. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk