Don't be evil......

What's Hot
crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
edited October 2020 in Off Topic
Maybe Google could live up to their marketing blurb.

We went with Google Play music instead of Spotify or Amazon because it allowed under 13s on its family plans.  They then tell us all to switch over to YouTube Music, and that Google Play Music is being switched off.  No mention at all that it will not work for my daughter.  I only find out when my daughter complains that she can't play music any more.

Removing paid for functionality like that, and telling you to move over, without even warning you that you are losing services is totally out of order.

I would probably switch back to Spotify just on principle because of how annoyed I am at Google. Spotify have now launched a kids app, so it looks like a no brainer. Having said that, they probably aren't any less evil than Google.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    YouTube have a kids app.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    edited October 2020
    YouTube have a kids app.

Youtube music doesn't though.

Edit:  the bigger issue is not whether or not they have the app, but them removing functionality that you have paid for without telling you.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18750
    Yes, Google really is treating customers like you, like shite.
    Not only do you lose the facility that you have had, you will apparently have to have a monthly subscription to YouTube Music account in order to maintain streaming functionality...
    https://www.extremetech.com/internet/312083-youtube-music-charges-you-to-play-your-own-music-on-your-own-speakers
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Don't be evil?

I think that ship sailed a long time ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Brize said:
    Don't be evil?

I think that ship sailed a long time ago.
    ^ This
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    Spotify have now launched a kids app, so it looks like a no brainer. Having said that, they probably aren't any less evil than Google.
    I think there are a lot of musicians who would agree with you on that.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited October 2020
    Google is losing me.  Unfortunatley, Microsoft is no less evil, and Apple is too restrictive.  Got my eye on this pinephone thing: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/11/pinephone-specs-price-release-date
  • I've tried and tried to get on with YT Music but I cannot get on with it so switched back to Spotify, shame as I really liked GP Music
  • yockyyocky Frets: 809
    I genuinely think about that "don't be evil" thing most days.

Somehow a bunch of entrepreneurs have stolen all the loot and managed to make the world a world a much crappier place and were encouraged all the way until it was too late. A kind of piss on your leg and tell you it's raining on an epic scale.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I always thought that motto gave them away for who they really are. It's the sort of thing a psychopath writes on his bathroom mirror with the blood of his latest victim.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AdiAdi Frets: 331
    Download all the mp3s from the internet FOR FREE and stop paying those robbing b****. Problem solved:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18750
    Adi said:
    Download all the mp3s from the internet FOR FREE and stop paying those robbing b****. Problem solved:)
    Yeah, I hear you brother !! Righteous call! Smash the system, fight the power, grab it all & screw all those err... musicians?  s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Cranky said:
    Google is losing me.  Unfortunatley, Microsoft is no less evil, and Apple is too restrictive.  Got my eye on this pinephone thing: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/11/pinephone-specs-price-release-date
    Looks good, like to see KDE plasma on it.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Adi said:

Hell yeah, why stop there, see a painting you like, steal it, fancy a car, take it, f**k it, everything is free.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    I’m not an Apple fanboy, it took me ages to swap to an iPhone and only switched because I use(d) a simple ipad for work.   The system works really well for me and I am hardly a real user, and I’m pretty IT illiterate compared to most.  The only apple stuff I have bought into is cloud storage because it works really well for lots of photos and all my working notes on the ipad, pdf documents I edit, storing all sorts of electric stuff.  I don’t use iTunes, Apple Music, Apple TV etc etc and £2 is a good price per month for the iCloud storage.
    yet I “hear” that they are going to “bundle” ALL apple stuff into a single monthly subscription For circa £15!  Now that is frustrating.  And it is that kind of behaviour that would make me want to switch on principle.  

I guess in reality £3.75 a week is hardly huge, and the impact of having to move everything from the cloud to some other storage feels me with dread.
    But like the OP I think that’s not very ethical :(  moan over
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    I think the "don't do evil" bit is a logical follow-on from the fact all of these tech companies eventually become about returning maximum value to shareholders, and exploiting the near-monopolies they have. They all started small and full of optimism and enthusiasm for the tech itself and what it could do for users. Not being evil was easy.

But now they are all mega corps and the optimism is about dominating the market (a la IBM of old), turning everything into a subscription and trying to hand-cuff people into an ecosystem.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7418
    sev112 said:
    I’m not an Apple fanboy, it took me ages to swap to an iPhone and only switched because I use(d) a simple ipad for work.   The system works really well for me and I am hardly a real user, and I’m pretty IT illiterate compared to most.  The only apple stuff I have bought into is cloud storage because it works really well for lots of photos and all my working notes on the ipad, pdf documents I edit, storing all sorts of electric stuff.  I don’t use iTunes, Apple Music, Apple TV etc etc and £2 is a good price per month for the iCloud storage.
    yet I “hear” that they are going to “bundle” ALL apple stuff into a single monthly subscription For circa £15!  Now that is frustrating.  And it is that kind of behaviour that would make me want to switch on principle.  

I guess in reality £3.75 a week is hardly huge, and the impact of having to move everything from the cloud to some other storage feels me with dread.
    But like the OP I think that’s not very ethical :(  moan over
    You don’t HAVE to take it up - you can continue to just pay for iCloud 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I just my iphone and back my stuff up manually. I pay for YT Premium which is £12 a month because I think the sheer amount of quality content is worth paying for. For music I just type in something like 2020 indie playlist and just let it play what it wants as that's how I discover new music. i have got hard drives filled with albums but if I do want to listen to a whole album it's on YT anyway so just listen to it on that. 

Google used to be a good search engine but nowadays the tope results are there because they are paid for, not because they are the most relevant to your search. Is AWS gonna do a search engine, seems an obvious move considering their massive infrastructure 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Google actually removed the don't be evil motto a few years back. Clearly in full anticipation of some upcoming evil. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok I will come to Google defence given I work for them. At the end of the day this was a business decision. Google play music did not get any traction and YouTube was the bigger brand, why have two teams working on what is essentially two product doing the same thing.
    Google is far from Evil, if anything it can be far too woke.
    It is recently offset all of it's carbon emissions with a goal of being carbon free by 2030, with massive investment in green energy and energy efficiency.
    I've worked for big evil corporations and the difference is massive.