Music room help

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited October 2020
    Maybe some gobos as well as sofa to divide the room as suggested ^^^^^

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Ok... sum ideas... 

number 1:

Number 2:

Number 3:

Bear in mind it’s not for award winning mixes... it’s just for my music room!... still have to get guitars and amps in there!!!!

• Number 3 for me.

Bye!

So as of just now we is here!!!!

A couple more panels to add to the ceiling but I haz to find the joists first... waiting on magnets so I can locate the screws in the plasterboard!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah looks great man!

Bye!

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6842
    poopot said:

A couple more panels to add to the ceiling but I haz to find the joists first... waiting on magnets so I can locate the screws in the plasterboard!!!!
    Looks superb. Has it improved the playback sound vs the previous setup?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    poopot said:

Looks superb. Has it improved the playback sound vs the previous setup?
    Yes... a few more bits to do and I’ll have a before and after vid.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Looks great.  How much difference has it made to the sound of the room?  Been recording and mixing in an untreated room for years and keep thinking I should do something about it.
    John_A said:
    Looks great.  How much difference has it made to the sound of the room?  Been recording and mixing in an untreated room for years and keep thinking I should do something about it.
    It’s made quite a big difference to be fair...

That’s the average reverb time after the panels went up... didn’t get a before screen shot but it was 0.41!

should come down again once the ceiling panels go up and I have some more bass traps to go in...

I did a before vid with the camera in the listening position, once it’s all done I’ll do the after and hopefully you can hear the difference... if not at least it looks the part :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    Nice job looks great. You might find a bit of diffusion above your seat position will help if it's a plasterboard ceiling. The reflections of plasterboard are pretty ugly sounding and the focus will be better if you can damp them down. 

For even better acoustic performance you could put the table on wheels and wheel it one third into the room when you want to mix as accurately as possible. Everybody wants to put things next to a wall, understandably due to aesthetics and room size but pulling it a third into the room will help a lot. If it's on wheels that's easy to do 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I have more panels to go up on the ceiling... waiting on some magnets so I can find the screws in the plasterboard to locate the joists!!!! 
    One panel on the ceiling:

And the results are now:

Video didn’t work as the inbuilt mic on the 1dx is shit!... but the panels have made a big difference... just listened back to some recorded and mixed stuff... you can really tell where it was wrong!...
    That's really impressive stuff, think I need to move to a bigger house!  Was thinking about going down this route, but the fact my music room doubles as an office, and I have loads of guitars on the wall I don't think it would be that practical for me
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    poopot said:
    I have more panels to go up on the ceiling... waiting on some magnets so I can find the screws in the plasterboard to locate the joists!!!! 
    I used this technique recently to locate wall studs in an old lath and plaster wall so I could put a couple of guitar hangers up.  Worked amazingly well. 
    John_A said:
    That's really impressive stuff, think I need to move to a bigger house!  Was thinking about going down this route, but the fact my music room doubles as an office, and I have loads of guitars on the wall I don't think it would be that practical for me
    It was already my office... the kids tv room... my lads crash pad when he stays... :)

it works for my job as most of the time is spent editing video and images...

now I get to properly hear the crap that’s been recorded :)

Do you think this approach would help or am I wasting my time?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    John_A said:
    Do you think this approach would help or am I wasting my time?

I don’t see why not.

below is my mates current room... he’s got guitars hanging up and it’s all good...

Below is his previous room... again, stuff everywhere on the walls and quite a few albums were recorded in there!...

Could you maybe lose a guitar or two on the walls to make a bit more space?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks - Might as well go for it, not planning any major releases any time soon, but my music making has certainly gone from playing live to recording, so may as well try to do things as well as I can
    ok... remixed a track from the cover challenge.

mixed in the room before tretment
    https://soundcloud.com/user-617343615/nine-to-five-uncle-slippyfist

mixed on the same kit after the shuffle round and treatment.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-617343615/9to5new