Are Vintage Pedals Better?

What's Hot

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I just watched this morning.

It's obviously subjective, but I disagreed with the rat, which to me clearly sounded different.  He was saying they were identical, but the vintage clearly had a bit more grit to it.  I actually preferred the sound of the reissue so the agenda was still met.

The TS was the big deal for me, they were identical to my ears to be fair!

A good watch (timed well with the release of his new pedal line do we think?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    The video format, where he plays with a band is maybe not the best to pick out subtle nuances (if they exist), but perfectly valid insomuch as pedals are used to make music.

The only pedal I have direct experience of is the CE-2 and he’s right, they sound near identical. I still like the original though, purely on aesthetic grounds - it looks cool with its simple layout, uncluttered by additional modes and stereo outs. And I have the box.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    Saw this last week, I couldn't tell!

But part of me was waiting for the Klon vs KTR comparison that never came, although that's no so much vintage, and Klones has been done to death.
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    Yet another demonstration that the TS-9 is an incredibly simple circuit and that the vintage mojo chip has no discernible impact on the sound.

Interesting point made about A-Bing pedals and setting the controls the same on both pedals. There are a fair few videos from major/noteable YouTube channels that compare pedals and get different sounds, but could probably get the sound dead on if they just moved the knobs a tiny bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    (without watching the video)

They can be different. They are not better because they are vintage.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    If the circuit is copied with the same components as the original then I can't see why there would be any difference. Most the drive circuits are built around components that haven't really changed for 40 years. There will always be a slight difference in sound though when you set 2 pedals to the same setting as the pot tolerances are pretty wide. That's not to say you can't get them to sound the same .. just that being in the same position doesn't mean they will sound the same. 
    There could be slight changes in impedance though caused by 40 year old jack sockets I spose 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    My 2003 early-Chinese-build Rat definitely doesn't sound exactly like my fully authentic LM308N-equipped clones of the original - it had slightly less grit and harshness. Would I hear it in a band context? Probably. Would the average punter notice a difference? I doubt it. 

FWIW I prefer the modern one.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    No, vintage pedals are not better.

In some cases specific components might have become unavailable and replaced with others that don't quite sound the same, but that's not the same thing. In other cases old pedals may have suffered from component value drift which will change the sound, but that is also not the same thing...

The reason old Rats are different from new ones is not the chip - it's that in the early 2000s they changed the type of pots they used, and this changed the sweep range of the controls and made it impossible to get the same sounds. (Surprisingly, even if the pots are set to the 'new' position that gives the same resistance division - the way the pots interact with the circuit seems to be important.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Just proves that guitarists often get obsessed over the wrong thing and instead of writing songs, they go out and chase old chip sets in drive pedals. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    stonevibe said:
    Just proves that guitarists often get obsessed over the wrong thing and instead of writing songs, they go out and chase old chip sets in drive pedals. 

Those who can, do. Those who can't collect vintage pedals. ;-)
    (I'm one of the latter in case anyone thinks I'm being overly snarky)

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The whole "vintage is better" thing is 1 part psychoacoustic, 1 part fairy dust, 1 part mojo and six or seven (depending on severity) bullshit.

*Some* vintage items sound different. But generally... if something sounds good its not just because it is old.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Old MXR stuff sounds better than the equivalent Dunlop versions.
    My big box Rat sounds way better than new ones.
    Other than that I can't say.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Boss made in Taiwan vs made in Japan?
    No difference I can hear.

• stonevibe said:

impmann said:
    The whole "vintage is better" thing is 1 part psychoacoustic, 1 part fairy dust, 1 part mojo and six or seven (depending on severity) bullshit.

*Some* vintage items sound different. But generally... if something sounds good its not just because it is old.

A-F&#@ING-MEN fellas. 

too much bullshit in the world of guitars. Especially when something is deemed vintage by age alone and not on its inerrant quality.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Now you may laugh and mock me for not writing any songs, but my 2007 DD-7 sounds way different than my 2008 DD-7. SO THERE!

Bye!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    I've got an 86 boss pedal that doesn't work.

So I disagree with the premise.
  • RobertWRobertW Frets: 148
    Sassafras said:

For years I tried to find a drive pedal I liked more than my lowly Boss SD-1, to no avail, so I decided if I was going to use an SD-1 I was going to use the best SD-1; the made in Japan vintage SD-1. I'd seen the youtube clips, it was definitely superior, no question.

When it arrived I hooked it up to my pedalboard and prepared to sonically destroy my cheap second rate made in Taiwan pretender to the throne SD-1.

They sounded exactly the same.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    RobertW said:
    Sassafras said:

For years I tried to find a drive pedal I liked more than my lowly Boss SD-1, to no avail, so I decided if I was going to use an SD-1 I was going to use the best SD-1; the made in Japan vintage SD-1. I'd seen the youtube clips, it was definitely superior, no question.

When it arrived I hooked it up to my pedalboard and prepared to sonically destroy my cheap second rate made in Taiwan pretender to the throne SD-1.

They sounded exactly the same.

And yet, the TPS guys did exactly the same test years ago and they definitely sounded different (I preferred the modern version funnily enough).

Do people really think it's old therefore it's better?  Sounds like the wrong starting point to me, people are more intelligent than that.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    I’ve only got one old pedal... a 1977 MXR Distortion Plus which sounds ace...I haven’t heard a newer one so can’t really comment (but I sorta have)  =)