PSA: New Model Army 24 October

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10700
Live zoom show, 10 quid. Available from their website. I love NMA. 
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7884
    I used to like them. Saw them live at least 40 times, but stopped bothering after Impurity. Too many ballads. 
    I’m more of a fan of the earlier stuff. Specifically, the first three albums. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    TheMarlin said:
    I used to like them. Saw them live at least 40 times, but stopped bothering after Impurity. Too many ballads. 
    I’m more of a fan of the earlier stuff. Specifically, the first three albums. 
    This is a 40 year retrospective - gonna be full of falklands, no rest, liberal education, betcha, the hunt, vengeance, no greater love, it’s going to be amazing!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13944
    I saw them 3 or 4 times back in the heyday of the late 80s. I have all their albums but lost a lot of interest after The Love Of Hopeless Causes. 

I've been tempted to sign up for this but fear it may be disappointing.

There were a great band in their day, I love Poison Street, The World, White Coats, Nothing Touches, Green & Grey, The Falklands Peel session, Here Comes The War, White Light, Bad Old World and really like the live version of Whirlwind on Raw Melody Men, that bass line is terrific as it builds towards the end of the song.

I saw them 3 or 4 times back in the heyday of the late 80s. I have all their albums but lost a lot of interest after The Love Of Hopeless Causes. 

There were a great band in their day, I love Poison Street, The World, White Coats, Nothing Touches, Green & Grey, The Falklands Peel session, Here Comes The War, White Light, Bad Old World and really like the live version of Whirlwind on Raw Melody Men, that bass line is terrific as it builds towards the end of the song.

The whole Peel sesh is incredible. Agree!
    edited October 2020
    viz said:

The whole Peel sesh is incredible. Agree!
    It is, it really is. It's fierce but melodic at the same time. I love that version of 'Running' on that Peel session, those opening chords....it's far better than the studio released version, as is Christian Militia. I still recall getting goose bumps as I heard those songs for the first time on air with my headphones on back in the day.

edited April 24
    Just saw NMA in Cambridge. Glorious as always!

Also the support, Amy Montgomery, were effing awesome. Omg they were good. 

edited April 24
    Nice one

Here’s No Greater Love. Uplifting, yet achingly, desperately sad, depicting a loving couple escaping the dead-end drudgery of their hometown, the panic and hurt felt by those they are abandoning, and the young couple’s joy, relief and hope mingling with their guilt and tears for those they’re leaving behind. I love the artistry of the story-telling of this song and the mixed emotions it evokes. Magical. 

• JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 118
    Cool, didn't know there were NMA fans on here. So many great anthems in their early stuff, good to know they still have it, looks like they've trimmed their line up down too, which is a good thing IMO.

I played with them once, came close to joining them.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 546
    I'm off to see them tonight in Southampton as it happens.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How was it? What did you think of Amy Mongomery?
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 546
    Yep, enjoyed it. The 1865 was packed out which doesn't happen that often. Ms Montgomery (and band) didn't lack confidence and obviously put plenty into a performance. Droopy moustaches are obviously back in. Bit gimmicky swapping instruments .. felt they did it a bit too much.
    NMA were very polished I thought. Sound was good. Justin seemed to run out of steam a bit towards the end to be honest .. he looked knackered. As we were leaving after the encore he was already heading for the tour bus as we walked right by him on the way to the car, literally less than two minutes after they got off the stage. Must have been in a hurry to get to Bristol!