help this fool get the most out of an external midi keyboard

ijontyijonty Frets: 32
edited October 2020 in Studio & Recording
Hi folks

I bought a Nektar Imapact LX25+ over a year ago but ashamedly only use the play button on it. I'm a beginner so just picked something basic, but I'd love to get more out of it.

First, a basic question: when I load up some midi piano from a plugin and play using the Nektar keyboard, it's really quiet. But if I call up the DAW on-screen keyboard, it's super-loud. I'm presuming I need to turn up the Nektar somehow, but can't even see how to do that.

Secondly, can anyone recommend any vid tutorials, or offer tips, on how to make the most of the capabilities, particularly for navigating round Reaper? At the moment I'm continually moving the mouse cursor around trying to click on stuff and I'm sure it's not very productive.

EDIT: I've found some basic tutorials, so maybe my question now is: does anyone have any clever hacks that they do apart from general control assignment?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    So I worked out that I can adjust the velocity on the keys using the Nektar, though it's not ideal as the choice seems to be either quiet but weighted, or loud but no weighting at all. Maybe it's just a cheap keyboard so I can't expect too much.

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6154
    Don't know the Nektar so can't help on what/where the right setting is.

But in your DAW, you might be able to set your own velocity curve? I don't use Reaper (either!) but maybe this helps: