SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Anyone got a Floyd Rose ?

What's Hot
DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
In addition to wrestling with the dodgy Accu Tune trem on one friends Hohner I’m tryng to finish the rebuild of a friends Peavey Wolfgang Special, a project I’m ashamed to admit is well into year 3. The problem is the poor devil has aggressively corrosive sweat. To the point that it’s eaten through the plating on the Floyd Rose and rusted the pivot posts, fine tuner grub screws etc. 
We’ve been trying to buy replacement parts but as a licensed unit a lot of the parts are non standard. For example the pivot/knife edge posts are narrower than normal at an M6 thread in a 9mm bushing and the long locking bolts are a different shape to standard.
So now we’re thinking, woukd we be better trying to just replace the whole unit ? 
Thing there is that you can buy a £30 Floyd, but that’s going to be made of crushed ramen noodles & superglue.
At the other end we could go and drop £300 on a real deal OFR. Except we can’t because he doesn’t have £300 spare. And even if he did I think he’s pragmatic enough to know that putting a £300 trem on a £250 guitar is a little bit foolish.

So were just wondering if there was anything out there in the mud ground, ideally one off of a trashed Korean Wolfgang complete pivot posts. But maybe a used 1000, or a Soecial, dunno what you got ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    The WGS has the ping made Floyd right ? the ones with the open left side knife

Guitar Fetish in the states do a OEM replacement made by Ping for about $100 del to the UK (not inc duty/vat...BS processing)

Nice units very solid.

Ive got one of the org Ping units in chrome kicking about in my workshop but it doesn't have any posts/nut ect, i'll grab some pic's of it tomorrow for you.

got any pics of the damaged unit?

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006

Ive got one of the org Ping units in chrome kicking about in my workshop but it doesn't have any posts/nut ect, i'll grab some pic's of it tomorrow for you.

WGS ? Is that one of the EVH branded ones ?
    This one doesn’t have the one open knife edge. I’ll get some pics of this one tomorrow in daylight 
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416

A new Gotoh is a steal compared to the price of a Schaller Floyd and better made .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DrBob said:

WGS ? Is that one of the EVH branded ones ?
    This one doesn’t have the one open knife edge. I’ll get some pics of this one tomorrow in daylight 
    WGS = WolfGang Special sorry

Google was throwing up images of WolfGang Special's with the open knife edge ping like floyds (if it has a little tri power symbol on the block it's made by ping)

So i guess the unit you have on there is more like the floyd II ? if so i might have also have a compatible unit, grab some pic's of it and i'll grab some of both my units for you.

WGS = WolfGang Special sorry

Google was throwing up images of WolfGang Special's with the open knife edge ping like floyds (if it has a little tri power symbol on the block it's made by ping)

So i guess the unit you have on there is more like the floyd II ? if so i might have also have a compatible unit, grab some pic's of it and i'll grab some of both my units for you.

Ah yes of course, makes perfect sense, if only Id thought about it!
    Its the Korean model, I don’t know if that’s the Special wasn’t the Special the flat top US one ?

Anyway, trem pics

https://i.imgur.com/9b47wbV.jpg

Only thing I can find by way of identifier is a partially obscured “BH” on the underside

https://i.imgur.com/BCs76El.jpg

Observe the unusual (and rusty) locking screw 

https://i.imgur.com/rYy1Hzv.jpg

And the smaller than usual post 

https://i.imgur.com/A7ZoOAN.jpg

Any thoughts ? 
    Hey Bob

Sorry bloke your opening statement left me a little confused "I’m trying to finish the rebuild of a friends Peavey Wolfgang Special,"

looking at the WG Special pics on google all threw up the Ping open knife edge terms

I have a unit that is pretty much an OEM copy of the peavey one but without the stamp, it also has the m6 posts.

the only difference i can see is that this one rear loads strings through the locking screws so there's no need to cut the ball ends,not sure if that messes with the EVH D Tunner ? but Eye balling them id say it should be a drop in replacement.

It's new and unused and is all chrome,I'll have to bring it home with me and upload some pic's later on for you to check out
    cant do that from here as the wifi i have is pretty crap.

laters

Gizmo said:
    Hey Bob

Sorry bloke your opening statement left me a little confused "I’m trying to finish the rebuild of a friends Peavey Wolfgang Special,"

You’re absolutely right ! Looking at it again what I’ve got here is a Peavey Wolfgang Special EXP. I’m guessing the “EXP” bit means Export ? Although given they would actually be Importing it from Korea to sell elsewhere its kind of Arse backwards but there you go...
    Ermmm yeah, be keen to see some details on that Ping although I think the D Tuna is pretty key so it might hinge on whether we could migrate that over

Cheers

Rob
    Hey Rob

Right sorry about the lateness of these pics, nodded off after dinner ;)

So the OEM no name floyd thingy looks like this

As you can see pretty much what you already have but with as i say rear loading of strings not blocks, so as far as i can tell no way to use it with the D-Tunner unless you replace the saddles to make it standard locking block config.

Post's are also 6m (5.93mm as i recall) with 9mm bushings like the ones you have atm

So here's the open edge Ping unit (btw also has a real floyd 42 brass block)

A much heavier duty unit

The Ping does not fit a standard floyd recess/cutout (i know it's what i bought it for) as the base plate hangs over the arm side a few mm more, but as your top mount it's nothing to worry about,all threads bolts are in good order nothing is chewed out of rusty ect ect

If you want me to grab some measurements just shout

Laters
    @Gizmo thanks for posting those chap. Personally I prefer the look of the first one, the base plate just looks more substantial somehow, that said I’ll feed this back to my friend see where his heads at. Did you want to message me with the kind of prices you were thinking of and I’ll get back to you 

Cheers