Started Spraying (for TV Yellow) bit of advice needed

What's Hot
I'm following Manchester Guitar Tech's TV Yellow spraying and as with all things when you do it for the first time it is a learning curve.

I've sanded 240, 320, 400 grit and following good (well I think) dust removal have sprayed the white primer. I have got two areas which I'm not happy with, see pics (last two show where I'm not happy and where I'm looking for advice).

Area 1) Trying to get paint to cover near the edge of the fretboard I feel I've over filled the grain
Area 2) Near where the strap pin will be at the bottom the spray just seemed to dump paint. It will have been me not the spray.

I'm guessing if I lightly sand down with (area 1) the grain will still be filled. Should I just sand off and start again or am I being to picky?

Area 2 I was just thinking on sanding back very slightly.

As I say very much a learning curve and in the other areas it looks right to me but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Simon

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16689
    I would avoid sanding at this stage if you can. if you do sand, then you really want to be using compressed air to clean out the grain again.

I think you will get away with the areas you are not happy with as it will even out a bit in the next stages
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    I would avoid sanding at this stage if you can. if you do sand, then you really want to be using compressed air to clean out the grain again.

I think you will get away with the areas you are not happy with as it will even out a bit in the next stages
    Thanks Wez... when I've got it down and got more light on it I can still make out the grain so I'm hoping the grain filler will pull it back a bit.

Thanks again.

Simon

• davrosdavros Frets: 1334
    The TV yellow is not opaque, so you will see the variation in the white through it. I think you need another coat to make it the same opaqueness all over.

The areas where you have possibly filled the grain a bit more aren't too prominent, so I'd leave them as they are.
    edited October 2020
    Recommendation for the grain filling, get some naptha (zippo or rosonol lighter fluid) to clean the excess off the surface before it dries, otherwise it will get patchy. You only want the filler in the grain, not on the surface.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    davros said:
    The TV yellow is not opaque, so you will see the variation in the white through it. 
    just like an original ;)

• Thanks for the word of wisdom, greatly appreciated.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 832
    edited October 2020
    Well I did sand the slightly thicker areas with some 2000 grit wet and dry, very carefully and didn't over do it and think it is better. I gave the rest of the guitar a quick very light denib and then grain filled.

These pics are where I'm up to. The pictures seem to carry more of a cast that what it is like in the flesh. I'd say the neck photo is more representative of how the rest looks. I'd also say it looks more even than in the photos (but they say a camera never lies).

Feeling quite happy so far. For those of you who have done this is it looking right so far?

it does look a little patchy in those pics, but i think you are working against a bit of figure in the body.. I would go for another coat though 
  • Four coats of sealer too late:-) There is a faint pink cast which generally seems to have been exaggerated by the camera, it just wouldn't come off and it wasn't as though I was leaving it any length of time after applying.

It will end up being what it is now and I have to say it is turning out better than I ever imagined. I'm using the light tint next rather than the TV yellow but hoping it still falls into what could be considered TV Yellow.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 832
    edited October 2020
    Several coats of vintage tint applied and generally happy with the results for a first attempt. Could I do better? Have I learned anything? Definitely and I am glad that my learning experience was on something cheaper to start with.

I thought all blemishes had been sorted but there are a couple of small areas which have been highlighted by the grain filler.

I'd filled a few areas around the bridge inserts but having forgotten to put in an earth wire had to remove one of them and reinsert with wire in place. I filled again around it but don't know how must either have not filled the other properly or disturbed it. Not too worried as I may relic at a later point... I'll see!

The grain filler stained the white primer, clearly I didn't work quick enough (and I can't say I wasn't advised) to quote Mr Miyagi in The Karate Kid, I did 'wax on, wax off'. It has had an effect on the finished result but even so it isn't unpleasant and it is my look:-) Not TV Yellow in my books but I put that down to not getting all the filler off properly.

I found the spraying much easier than expected. No runs, which I was really surprised about and it seems to have covered physically evenly though there is some unevenness in the depth of colour though again not as bad as I expected (the camera does seem to exaggerate the effect or maybe I have my rose tinted glasses on!

Just waiting for some black nitro for the headstock face and will put a decal on before final clearcoats.

Looking for a cheap dogear to make sure I'm happy with it all before spending on something decent. If you have a 'cheap' 52mm spaced one for sale PM me:-) To be fair though it ain't a true replica as the control holes are in the wrong place so might just use the Alegree Sea Smoke that is slotted in at the moment. 

Looking good. I found the naptha (zippo lighter fluid) to be effective at removing the pink grain filler off the surface, I don't know if you tried that?

The sanding and prep is particularly important for the tv finishes, needless to say mine wasnt good enough, especially on the sides!!!

Definitely needs a dogear to complete the look. I used an oil city firewatch, which is awesome but not a 'cheap' pickup.
  • Yeah I did use lighter fluid and whilst it had got a lot off there was just some which wouldn't come off. I lightly sanded with 2000 grit which removes very little at a time but that didn't get past it. I didn't want to use anything more abrasive and risk rubbing through the primer completely.

I agree with you about the dogear. The Oil City Firewatch is what I've been considering and once I'm happy that the rest of the guitar deserves a decent setup and to be fair it is looking that way I'll be happy to spend on the pickup. 

In terms of actual application of the finish I'm very happy. It has given me confidence to do other stuff. I used both the blue masking tape and 3M 471+ (471F) Blue Vinyl Fine Line Masking Tape the latter is superb to use. I'd always worried about painting the neck and peeling the masking tape off. I needn't have worried all very simple. I did as you suggested earlier in another thread too i.e. removing tape after priming and going a fraction of a mm higher at the next point. In hindsight I'm not sure I needed to but your suggestion worked very well so would probably do the same again in future.
    Yeah, there are certainly some things that might not be necessary, like the extra masking step but when they work ok I get too scared to not do it the next time just in case!!

I might have to get some of the fine line tape you mentioned!