The Haunting of Bly Manor

What's Hot
Anyone else watch this on Netflix?

It's a 'follow-up' / 'second season' of The Haunting of Hill house, in the same way that American Horror Story seasons are not really connected.

I really enjoyed Hill house, but this was just.... pretty meh I thought.

While the story was simply 'OK', there were a lot of details that really took me out of it; for example, it's supposed to be in the 80's in England, but there was NOTHING 80's in sight. They also obviously didn't have anyone form that time period on set, as it's so obviously shot in Canada - even all the trees etc. aren't native to the UK. Plus, who lives in Essex where you have to travel 3 hours to get to a hospital??

The accents were atrocious from several key people as well, which certainly didn't help.

Disappointing overall - and the impact of the background ghosts was certainly not as eerie as Hill house.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I really liked Hill House but thought Bly Manor was absolutely shit. Boring story, bad accents and next to nothing in terms of scares or even creepy atmosphere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    TTBZ said:
    I really liked Hill House but thought Bly Manor was absolutely shit. Boring story, bad accents and next to nothing in terms of scares or even creepy atmosphere.
    Yeah, I have to agree. Also got incredibly tired of the lead actress having just two expressions - 'confused' and 'terrified'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    I really enjoyed Bly manor.

Its a very different ghost story to hill house, told in a different way.   yes, it has a lot less jumps, but that's okay (and  it clearly acknowledges this difference in the last episode.)

If they are doing more series, i'm glad they are willing to mix up the style a bit

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Yeah I loved Hill House, bly I was so disappointed, got genuinely bored and confused. 
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I loved Hill House, but was put off half way though the first episode of Bly Manor by the iffy acting and bad accents, it all felt very contrived, I'm not sure I want to try and push through and watch the rest.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    It was good until the last 2 episodes. 3rd to last was pretty exciting and then it lost all momentum with the next episode being set in the 1700s.
    Then the titanic old lady ending was crap.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    watched first episode last night after finishing Nurse Ratched. will persevere for now.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    Wife is watching it.
    I was bored so I read the wiki on it. Predicted most of it.

Dull.
  • I thought it was terrible. First few episodes weren't bad but it got progressively worse. Lost interest and I want my money back for investing in the first few hours!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6683
    I couldn't watch the trailer all the way through. Such appalling acting doesn't bode well for a series. 
    Hah, well maybe I am alone in enjoying it then.

I thought it was pretty cleverly done by the time it finished.   Spent an hour or so discussing it after and decided I wanted to watch it again

Would everyone have been happier if they had just stuck to the formula of the first series?  

I hope it is like AHS where they try to do different things in each series, but the downside of that is fans won't automatically  love all of them.
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    I have been waiting months and months for this season to come out as I loved the first season.
    However, the trailer was shite. I know trailers give you a limited impression but if I think the trailer is poor, then I presume the series is poor. I will watch it, but it's not my my "list" for the moment. The trailer put me off.

To The Lake - Russian Netflix Original Series, is rather good however, despite the dubbing.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    WezV said:

I thought it was pretty cleverly done by the time it finished.   Spent an hour or so discussing it after and decided I wanted to watch it again

Would everyone have been happier if they had just stuck to the formula of the first series?  

I hope it is like AHS where they try to do different things in each series, but the downside of that is fans won't automatically  love all of them.
    It certainly wasn't perfectly splendid.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    WezV said:

It certainly wasn't perfectly splendid.
    kids can be annoying, they captured that just right :D  

Lets just say I am glad I don't have to put up with Peppa Pig any more!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Couldn't make it past the first episode. I thought the acting was so stiff and annoying. That little kids voice irritated the hell out of me. Shame really as I did love the haunting of hill House.
  • I was expecting something a bit spookier to be honest. Really preferred Hill House to this one.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I really liked it!

Granted, Hill House was far better, but I expected that going in.  I  had not long become a dad again when watching Hill House, so the end episode destroooyyyedd me.

As for Bly, yes it was a bit slow but I really found myself invested in each episode.  I think the timing of the throwback episode was a bit off, because it was just getting climactic, then reverted a bit.  10/10 would watch again... meep meep
  • Loved episode 1. Watching episode 2 now.

I wouldn't expect it to be as good as hill house. That was like die hard, or ghostbusters, or raiders of the lost ark - perfect, lightning in a bottle art.

Will report back ;) 
  • ac30manac30man Frets: 478
    edited October 2020
    Perfectly Crap. What a disappointment after Hill House. First few episodes were good but it went quickly down hill. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Episode 2 was great. High hopes remain.

Looks like it's not going to be as much a horror - totally fine by me. Great performances so far from all, too. Lots of atmosphere, beautiful sets and, as you'd expect from MF, beautifully shot and directed so far.