Really dumb Reaper question.

What's Hot
So far I've been using entirely self contained plugins. So a plugin that has amp, FX, IR etc all within the one VST.

How the smeg do I use separate plugins on the same track? Say just an amp and then a different IR loader? Do I need to route it to another track and do it on there?

Or an amp sim from Neural but I want a pedal from someone else so I want the pedal before the Neural in the chain?
I'm mindlessly clicking on things and must be missing something simple.

(At this point I will fully admit I have saved the manual as a pdf but have never opened it....!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FezFez Frets: 525
    RTFM Time then, joking aside click the FX button on the track and the window will open to show the plugins available. If you haven't added any then you will only see the Reaper native stuff that comes with the install. Plugins need to be in an accessible folder (often in C:Program files) which you need to set up a link to in preferences.
    I recommend you do 2 things: 1 Dive in and read that manual 2 Get yourself the latest Computer Music magazine which has a load of free plugins.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    I've just right clicked it and found it.

About the only thing I didn't try

DOH!!!!

Thank you!
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited October 2020
    You can also save some or all of the combination of FX on a track as an FX Chain if you want to reuse it on another project
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I prefer to use the MCP to get an overall view of the mix, and by R clicking the blank space on the master track you get to the options of what is visible on MCP, I have FX showing, but not sends, and the view changes according to height of the MCP.
    It is a simple case of clicking an empty slot on a track and inserting effect from list, and then re arrange order to suit.
    Also, it is simple to just select and drag an effect to copy to another track, sometimes it is hard to explain stuff, due to a persons personal setup prefs, but anything is possible in Reaper, truly anything.
    I ordered the hardcopy of the manual, but can't say I have ever needed to look at it, Kenny usually has a vid on it, I watch them as they come out, and some of it sinks in that way.