Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why use pedals?

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    There was quite a lot of delay between the original post and his follow-up. Surely that falls foul of your rules?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Edge of break up and a strat...

Man thats an original approach to playing, especially with an exceptionally rare guitar. You must sound so unique
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    And you've got the nerve to call yourself Rocker!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Sassafras said:
    And you've got the nerve to call yourself Rocker!!!
    Well he named himself after the Thin Lizzy song featuring Eric Bell who, err, had a tone bender and a delay between guitar and amp...oh dear...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I fail to understand how more pedals = sound like others.

Mathematically it just doesn’t compute.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    I don’t like the sound of clean guitar into amp with absolutely no effects. 

I do like reverb and delay, so I have no choice.

• joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    edited October 2020
    Crutch? Jesus Christ. 

Broaden your mind. You've completely missed one of the many points of using pedals. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Following Rocker's advice, I've removed the pedals from my piano.
    He's right, the purity of sound from it now is a thing of beauty.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited October 2020
    Ah, the “sweeping generalisation/ridiculous statement for clicks/attention” dollar, that’s a strong dollar... 

Didn’t seem like the OP really wanted a reasoned discussion that can be had about pedals, when you might need to use them, when straight into the amp works, etc. Talking about using pedals as a “crutch”, and everything else about the original posting (on the FX forum of all places) just seems like a deliberate trigger for an argument, and hey look, it worked! You trolled us! Well done, they’ll name streets in your honour for this I’m sure.

I hope you can find a truly original sound with a Strat, an amp, and no pedals. No, really. Good luck with that...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    Hattigol said:
    There was quite a lot of delay between the original post and his follow-up. Surely that falls foul of your rules?
    The chorus of disapproval filled out the interval nicely though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Hattigol said:
    I did a quick check of the rules to see if there was anything about ‘hand grenades’, i.e. starting a contentious thread and then walking away to a safe distance to watch the fun. I couldn’t find anything, but Rule 1 (from which all the other rules flow) is ‘Don’t be a dick’. I’ll second that.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

If you play lots of different sized venues I find a few different gain stages from pedals pretty essential.  With volumes lowering over the years and so many different venue sizes I always feel I need the versatility, especially using non-MV single channel amps.

That’s just gain though.  The other side of it is now pedals allow guitar to stray away from the old cliches with new sounds coming from innovative makers.
    Not everybody wants to stick to classic guitar sounds and synths, delays, mods and verbs can take the core sound to new and fresh territory.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Oh and yeah, just think how good the Edge could have been without his ‘crutches’

https://youtu.be/H8dZwXnMrRU
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited October 2020
    is this a shit-post? Move on.
    I removed the pedals from my bicycle, can't say it's improved its performance. Quite the opposite, in fact.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Sassafras said:
    I removed the pedals from my bicycle, can't say it's improved its performance. Quite the opposite, in fact.
    It’s not about the bike...

=) 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Sassafras said:
    But now at least you don't ride the same as everyone else.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited October 2020
    Sassafras said:
    Maybe so. But you will inevitably now have your own 'unique' style when riding it...

Edit: sorry @soma1975 you pipped me!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • <looks at a universe of pedals>

THESE MAKE YOU SOUND LIKE SOMEONE ELSE!

<looks at fingers touching a fretboard>

OMG I AM SO ORIGINALS!

Bye!

• Ah, the “sweeping generalisation/ridiculous statement for clicks/attention” dollar, that’s a strong dollar... 

Nice Bill Hicks reference!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom