Is there a piece of kit to do this

I have a pair of condenser mics for recording acoustic in stereo - via two mono XLR leads
I have stereo out from my Strymon Iridium for recording electric - via two mono jack leads

To switch between recording acoustic and electric I have to physically unplug the two XLR leads from the two inputs on the front of my Focusrite audio interface and plug in the jack leads and vice versa.

My question - is there a solution (some sort of switchable patchbay maybe?) that would allow me to somehow switch between the two recording options without having to unplug the leads every time?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Would a small mixer not work for this?

Plug all inputs into the mixer then run the outs to the interface. Give you good control over it all too
  • A slightly bigger audio interface? Assuming you have a Scarlett 2i2, if you moved up to a 4i4 you'd be able to keep them both plugged in all the time - mics on the front, Iridium on the back - and something larger than that would give you spare inputs for other things. 
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    edited October 2020
    the_jaffa said:
    Would a small mixer not work for this?

Possibly but it's a bit overkill for what's required and may introduced noise. I was hoping for something a little neater/more compact 

A slightly bigger audio interface? 
    I already have an 18i20 but all the rear inputs are already in use with other stuff
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6154
    I'd prefer a bigger interface, although at the moment I use the mixer idea suggested by @the_jaffa ;

Just bear in mind that adding a mixer just means you have more noise sources and gain staging to think about and check. Not difficult, just fiddlesome. For example, on my setup, I have the Volume output control on the sources (synths), a Channel volume on the mixer, a Send level on the mixer and then a Gain level on the RME interface. Mixers are never as low-noise as an audio interface.

A simple patchbay could work, but you'd be fiddling with phantom power switching and gain levels anyway. A 4-input interface where you can leave everything set is the route to hassle-free tracking.
  • AlbertC said:
    I already have an 18i20 but all the rear inputs are already in use with other stuff
    In that case, one of these, maybe? https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0ATL
    edited October 2020
    AlbertC said:
    In that case, one of these, maybe? https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0ATL
    Doesn't give me any more inputs than I have already and I'm happy with the Focusrite
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited October 2020
    A decent patchbay will cost you a lot and I never put phantom power down a patchbay if that is ever your workflow.
    An XLR patch panel might work but it will still be a couple of hundred quid:
    Something like this from Network Sound.

A small mixer is the best approach imho.
    You won't be adding much noise if you buy something decent.

Or more inputs on your interface either expansion to what you currently have or a new interface with more inputs.
    Cheers, I'll have to do some thinking as it doesn't look like there is a simple solution other than getting another interface with more input options (expensive).
    Maybe I'll just look at reconfiguring what's going into the rear inputs.
  • How do the proper studios do it then? As they surely have loads of inputs going into the same machine, do they have like a million inputs on an interface? 

I get annoyed with my setup for similar, because I can't record my guitar in stereo using my normal interface and have to use the modelling unit interface, so I have to reboot all the software again when I then want to record the mic through the other interface, they it'll probably change settings of its own accord again and just leaves me exasperated
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited October 2020
    How do the proper studios do it then? As they surely have loads of inputs going into the same machine, do they have like a million inputs on an interface? 

I guess they probably use snazzy patchbays with lots out inputs and outputs or maybe sub-mixers and the like
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited October 2020
    How do the proper studios do it then? As they surely have loads of inputs going into the same machine, do they have like a million inputs on an interface? 

I get annoyed with my setup for similar, because I can't record my guitar in stereo using my normal interface and have to use the modelling unit interface, so I have to reboot all the software again when I then want to record the mic through the other interface, they it'll probably change settings of its own accord again and just leaves me exasperated
    By half-normalling via patchbay.

I have 4x Audio Accessories patch bays and 128 channels (64 in, 64 out) of IO available to me to Pro Tools.
    This covers all the mic preamps, line level sources (modellers, synths), outputs to monitors and headphone amps, some of which are networked.

The idea is that you can have all the outboard and input signals available to call up in Pro Tools at the drop of a hat, but if you want to route them in the analogue world, then you can do that too.
    Adding more channels is simply a matter of buying a Dante device, putting it on the network and patchbay and connecting the outboard.

I wrote an article about the install process for the MTRX which outlines it more fully:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2020/7/31/why-i-decided-to-buy-to-avid-mtrx

If you are using a console as well then it is a bit more complicated, depending on how much capability you want for recall.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6154
    AlbertC said:

No chance to add 8 more channels via ADAT and an OctoPre/ASP800/etc box? Then a mixer is the easiest option, I think.

Certainly was for me, and the side benefit is that I can play and practice without turning the Mac+RME on.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Look up Orchid Electronics. They have products similar and do custom builds too. You just need a stereo A/B switch to change the inputs between the two sources.