Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lord of the Rings in 4K

What's Hot
Finally going to Happen
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    With luck they’ll edit out all the pointless walking and tell the story in 90 minutes.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    PO TAY TOES...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A few minor CGI bits to fix (Hobbits in front of crowd in Return on the King)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Oh God, that means hi-definition boredom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • With luck they’ll edit out all the pointless walking and tell the story in 90 minutes.

There will be probably be a Peter Jackson's Directors Cut where the Hobbit will be even longer with even less emphasis on narrative and walking around where nothing happens.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    With luck they’ll edit out all the pointless walking and tell the story in 90 minutes.

There will be probably be a Peter Jackson's Directors Cut where the Hobbit will be even longer with even less emphasis on narrative and walking around where nothing happens.
    It’d be even better if they did a version of the Hobbit without the eating and drinking scenes too. That’d be down to about an hour then. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    They'll probably put Tom Bombadil back in and lengthen the piece of dross by another hour. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I skipped the regular bluray version completely as i have it twice on DVD! I don't know whether to wait for the 8k or 64k release  =)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'm afraid that your thread seems to have been infected with grumpy old men syndrome.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Couldn't give a crap about the Hobbit but the LOTR movies are great and still stand up. I have the extended blur ays which is plenty for me. I rarely have time to actually sit and watch them anyway
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • axisus said:
    I'm afraid that your thread seems to have been infected with grumpy old men syndrome.

Wis'd.

I'm sure there will be soon be another digitally re-mastered re-released re-mixed Pink Floyd wankathon for them to all get excited over instead. Poor souls. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I just like seeing the zits and poor makeup or photoshop on actor’s faces.. guaranteed to drop me right out of the story..  4K make B&W look like high art.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    For some reason I have no interest at all in high quality TV....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    axisus said:

Wis'd.

I'm sure there will be soon be another digitally re-mastered re-released re-mixed Pink Floyd wankathon for them to all get excited over instead. Poor souls. 

Savage, but fair :lol:
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    ...actual on topic post.

The interesting thing will be what they can do for a 4k release of a film that has effects rendered at 1080p or more likely in some cases even lower than this.

Obviously what they will add is HDR, which will have a bigger effect, and 4k Blu uses better encoding so it always looks a BIT better.

The "early digital" era will be an interesting anomaly going forwards, as the complete versions of films like "The Avengers" or any major blockbuster of the last fifteen odd years only exist as digital files, mostly at 2k resolution (not much higher than 1080p) so will never be any better than that, albeit 1080p still looks good on a cinema screen (when they show old films at your local cinema?  Quite often a Bluray...) so how much anyone apart from people who sell tellies need 4k is up for debate.

Genuinely older films ("Jaws" for example) were shot entirely on 35mm film, so going back and re-scanning those films produces a genuine 4k picture and so ironically a 40 year old film can look better in 4k than a 10yr old one!

Newer films shot on IMAX or 65mm film (like Chris Nolan's efforts) look just stunning in 4k, Dunkirk is like looking out the window and seeing a Spitfire I imagine "Tenet" will look stunning as well, so YMMV.

I've got the Blu Ray box set of LOTR, I was intensely disappointed by the Hobbit movies, and 4k streaming is getting better everyday, and more common (you can currently watch the Hunger Games films in 4K on Amazon Prime for example) so may be a "never" purchase for me.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    No for me, the CGI was not that great at the time anyway, probably looks terrible on a modern OLED.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    ...actual on topic post.

The interesting thing will be what they can do for a 4k release of a film that has effects rendered at 1080p or more likely in some cases even lower than this.

Obviously what they will add is HDR, which will have a bigger effect, and 4k Blu uses better encoding so it always looks a BIT better.

The "early digital" era will be an interesting anomaly going forwards, as the complete versions of films like "The Avengers" or any major blockbuster of the last fifteen odd years only exist as digital files, mostly at 2k resolution (not much higher than 1080p) so will never be any better than that, albeit 1080p still looks good on a cinema screen (when they show old films at your local cinema?  Quite often a Bluray...) so how much anyone apart from people who sell tellies need 4k is up for debate.

Genuinely older films ("Jaws" for example) were shot entirely on 35mm film, so going back and re-scanning those films produces a genuine 4k picture and so ironically a 40 year old film can look better in 4k than a 10yr old one!

Newer films shot on IMAX or 65mm film (like Chris Nolan's efforts) look just stunning in 4k, Dunkirk is like looking out the window and seeing a Spitfire I imagine "Tenet" will look stunning as well, so YMMV.

I've got the Blu Ray box set of LOTR, I was intensely disappointed by the Hobbit movies, and 4k streaming is getting better everyday, and more common (you can currently watch the Hunger Games films in 4K on Amazon Prime for example) so may be a "never" purchase for me.

Came in to say this. SO MANY big blockbuster films made in the last couple of decades had a 2k post and vfx pipeline that this is going to be an issue unless something was being comprehensively re-rendered at a cost of 10s of millions. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1473
    Couldn't give a crap about the Hobbit but the LOTR movies are great and still stand up. I have the extended blur ays which is plenty for me. I rarely have time to actually sit and watch them anyway
    This. All of this. 

• @darthed1981 if you are streaming from Amazon do you get the HD Dts Sound ? If not then I still prefer a 4k Blueray or rip.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Wow. From the look of this thread they would have been far more popular had they condensed the three books into one film of two hours.

I'm sure that would have gone down well all round  ;)