Ok...what happened?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
Yesterday I replaced the neck tone pot on my LP with a new CTS pot that is actually 500k, replacing the Gibson item that measured at 400k. I also replaced the small green circular capacitor with an orange drop. 

The whole guitar is suddenly much brighter, even the bridge. I was anticipating a difference with the neck but this like a totally different guitar now. Witchcraft?!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1113
    I think that lines up with my understanding that higher value pots can make a guitar brighter, but someone will be along shortly to explain why. For now, yes, witchcraft 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    edited October 2020
    The why is that you’ve accidentally changed something else as well - bad connection at the jack, partial short to shielding, guitar cable, amp settings, something like that...

The witchcraft aspect is that a higher value neck tone pot cannot possibly affect the sound of the bridge pickup on its own even if it did make much difference to the neck pickup.

The power of association and imagination is responsible for a lot.

Sorry to be dull .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1113
    Didn’t read well enough- missed the neck pot/bridge pup bit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom