Fun Times in Ross-on-Wye

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
edited October 2020 in Guitar
Yesterday, Mr.@Funkfingers and I made one of our annual road trips and met up on a windswept Starbucks car park in Ross-on-Wye.

Deals were done, stuff exchanged hands and coffee was had.

@Funkfingers returned home with his spoils and I headed back up the M50/M5 with the following projects and/or not-so-project items:

https://i.imgur.com/YwnIE21.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eLUXDqe.jpg

Thats:

*Ibanez RS530 project 
*Hondo Professional series H-1030 project
*Modded Fender Highway One body
*Squier Silver Series Tele 
*2005 Gibson SG Special
*Kahler Flyer - plus a few other odds’n’sods...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    I do like the Hondo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    Yesterday, Mr.@Funkfingers and I made one of our annual road trips and met up on a windswept Starbucks car park in Ross-on-Wye.

Deals were done, stuff exchanged hands and coffee was had.

@Funkfingers returned home with his spoils and I headed back up the M50/M5 with the following projects and/or not-so-project items:

https://i.imgur.com/YwnIE21.jpg

can't recall Ibanez making a Keef Richards Signature model - or indeed Keef playing one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    That Hondo looks great. Shame it's a "false through neck", but it's still the one I'd pick out of that lot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited October 2020
    Blimey. Ross on Wye brings backs some fond memories. Used to go to the Linton Festival there years ago. Great weekends  

Maybe some of those guitars were used on the stage there :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • The Ibanez RS530 looks a nice one, not normally a modern shape person (if you can call it modern when it's probably older than I am) but that's quite a nice shape
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426

*2015 Gibson SG Special

Oi! That 2005 SG is bone stock. It is only a "project" in the sense that Gibson probably could have done a better job of it. (Standard Gibson bashing moans, bitches and gripes.)

R-O-W is just across Mark Drakeford's frontier of no return. I snuck across under the cover of darkness. If I told which roads I used, I'd have to kill you.

For my sins, I took the Höhner GT3/Roland GK3/GR20 outfit - as seen in H7's Dropbox gallery a couple of weekends ago. I am in the process of splitting this three ways. Somebody local is besides himself, wanting to buy the GT3. I have a use for the GK3 pickup. I already own a Roland VG99 so, the GR-20 could be exposed to the risk of sale very shortly. 

Any proceeds from those sales will probably be squandered on refurbishing a semi-derelict Charvel Model 3 or 3A. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I do like the Hondo.
    ICBM said:
    That Hondo looks great. Shame it's a "false through neck" but it's still the one I'd pick out of that lot.
    Neither of you would like it quite so much seen up close! The bridge is seized, the frets are worn, Bacofoil control cavity "screening", botched controls wiring and one of the Matsumoto humbuckers has a shorted coil. (The black pickup is a dogbreath Fernandes effort, purely for test purposes, you understand. NOT just to get it out of my parts drawer!)

The bridge sits in a shallow recess but, as you can probably see in H7's photographs, it is out of alignment. Plenty of filling and redrilling to keep the thread starter busy through the Winter months. Then again, that was the theory last year.  :3
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Funkfingers said:

The bridge is seized, the frets are worn, Bacofoil control cavity "screening", botched controls wiring and one of the Matsumoto humbuckers has a shorted coil.

Plenty of filling and redrilling to keep the thread starter busy through the Winter months. 
    Sounds like my perfect guitar... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Funkfingers said:

That 2005 SG is bone stock. 
    Indeed it is! My bad.

can't recall Ibanez making a Keef Richards Signature model - or indeed Keef playing one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No such luck! :)

It's missing the "Tee-Nut" intonation block from the bottom E, so the entire saddle is inoperable at present...

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    @HarrySeven Fun facts - my mom lives in Ross-on-Wye, and my nephew took a night-shift manager job in that very Starbucks while waiting to apply to the RAF. (That Starbucks is also one of the first places you can stop and relieve yourself if you come from the south, as there is a long service-stationless stretch of M5 then M50 which can tax a man's bladder until that Starbucks hoves into view. I don't usually consider Starbucks a welcome sight but for that one I make an exception  ;))
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited October 2020
    @HarrySeven Fun facts - my mom lives in Ross-on-Wye, and my nephew took a night-shift manager job in that very Starbucks while waiting to apply to the RAF. (That Starbucks is also one of the first places you can stop and relieve yourself if you come from the south, as there is a long service-stationless stretch of M5 then M50 which can tax a man's bladder until that Starbucks hoves into view. I don't usually consider Starbucks a welcome sight but for that one I make an exception  )
    Ahh Starbucks is opposite that weird shopping village place. 

Ross on Wye is a nice town, we had a weekend at the campsite there last year before going to Wales. I don’t remember spotting piles of old guitars lying around. 

(20/10/2019 )

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Well done on the RS530, I have the same model & in the same colour. Bought her in 88/89 from a shop in Stockport, £250. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Funkfingers said:

That 2005 SG is bone stock. 
    Indeed it is! My bad.
    It doesn't have to stay that way though, those ebony-board Specials are a great modding platform.

My '04 is now genuinely one of the best-sounding guitars I've ever owned. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    H7 may have already flipped the SG Special.

The quest for an Ibanez Pro Rock'r vibrato saddle part continues. 

The Squier Telecaster has changed hands between us many times. (Many, many times!) It plays very nicely but weighs as much as two of my other Telecasters combined. :frown: 

My would-be Höhner GT-3 purchaser should finally settle up after his next payday.

In the unlikely event that our Prime Minister is telling the truth about lockdown ending in the Summer, H7 can resume his gear gathering road trips.
    edited February 2021

H7 may have already flipped the SG Special.
    Certainly not! I can see it from here...

The quest for an Ibanez Pro Rock'r vibrato saddle part continues.
    True...

In the unlikely event that our Prime Minister is telling the truth about lockdown ending in the Summer, H7 can resume his gear gathering road trips.
    Also true...I have a list of pending collections...

• SargeSarge Frets: 2401
    It would be remiss of me not to call dibs on that cream MMK45  ;)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I have a horrible sensation that if that Hondo (as it looks like) has been daubed with Ronseal 'quick drying' gloss using a cheap brush from the local hardware shop (and may have been left in the pot for an hour or two whilst the perpetrator went to the pub cos he was bored waiting for the 'quick drying' varnish to dry)... if it is like that I may know the previous owner... quite well, in fact.

**(Shuffles off muttering something about it happening 30 years ago and not knowing any better)**
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited April 2021
    The previous owner of the Hondo H-1030 lives in fashionable Pembroke Dock, a stone's throw* from the town's police station. The guitar was purchased via Fæcesbook Marketplace. I merely collected and transported it.

The single most distinguishing feature of H7's example was that somebody had disconnected all of the controls, lined the cavity with aluminium cooking foil and, then, reinstalled the controls in the wrong positions.

One of the MMK45 humbuckers had a shorted coil. The cost of a rewind is unconscionable to the OP.

* Still a standard unit of measurement in PD.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    All my sympathy goes out to Funkfingers.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom