Wireless IEM System - LD Systems MEI 1000 G2

What's Hot
PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
Anyone with any experience of the LD Systems MEI 1000 G2? I recently bullied the singer into getting a Behringer XR18 so we could start using IEMs properly, but I need to get a wireless unit as I appear to have become the main sound engineer, as well as guitarist and keys player and general dogsbody -as a result I'm doing a lot of moving round.

I know that you need to spend a fair whack of dosh to get a decent wireless IEM solution, but the LD seemed to be reasonable intro, but I can't find any real life reviews or experiences.

Any help greatly appreciated.
This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The singer in my band used an older LD systems iem system for years, in fact I still think he uses it now in his duo/solo act.

When the band started 12 years ago we all used the LD iem system. We all bought receivers and all connected to the same transmitter.

I quickly moved to a wired iem setup as the sound quality wasn’t great. That being said it still works and is still being used.

If I were going to use a wireless iem setup now I would be looking at the xvive digital system.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/xvive-wireless-in-ear-monitor-system-24ghz-(no-earphones)-xu4?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgPiK74TB7AIV1u3tCh29vAIZEAQYASABEgLp6fD_BwE

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Thanks @kennedydream1980 - Problem with the Xvive is it's Mono rather than Stereo. That's what's putting me off.

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    If you don't mind buying used, for a little more than the price of the LD you could get a second hand Sennheiser G3 kit, which is pro standard and far far superior to the LD or anything else around that level. It's honestly worth going for as the leap in performance and quality will be significant. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I've tried 2 LD systems, set them up for 2 singers and both were terrible ... I couldn't use them myself it was all hiss, dropouts an other noise. Both were literally unusable in stereo, just too noisy. I use a wired IEM system myself but for our singer we brought a used Senn G3 body pack receiver and transmitter. As @mike257 said the performance is just different class to any of that LD and Tbone stuff. If you look on Ebay there's some great deals sometimes on the G3 stuff. The older G2 stuff is great as well, we have 2 G2 mics systems and a G2 IEM system but there's issues with the band they operate in now I think ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Thanks @mike257 - had a look but they’re pretty spendy, even second hand from what I can see.
    @PC_Dave you can pick them up for around £400 and sometimes less if you're patient/lucky. 

There's an earlier G2 version in the UK license free frequency band on eBay with a BIN of £265. Will still kick the pants off the LD. 
    mike257 said:
    Thanks - popped an offer which was accepted. Hopefully they’ll do the job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Wheres best place to get info re frequency / bandwidth ranges - as looking at in ears n possibly a mic too ..  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Cheers - though will need to read when Im a little less BrewDogged  ....
  • I've used both the MEI1000G2 and the Shure PSM200 and would have to agree that for the difference in price it's probably worth investing the extra cash in the Shure, or the Sennheiser that @mike257 said.

The LD system is okay, it's stereo and it works, but the frequencies are a faff to adjust and sometimes the sound quality can be a bit iffy. The Shure system was a lot more stable and just worked a lot better for me.

That being said you could quite easily buy an LD 2nd hand to try and then sell it again for what you paid, same with the Shure.
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    Key thing to note with Shure PSM200 is that it is mono only..
    And restricting IEM to mono is a bit like getting on the autobahn and only using Lane 1. It’ll work, but it sucks!

I also think it sounds naff. Compared to the Senn G3 product, it is night and day..

Admittedly I am a touch spoiled as 90% of what I mix on is PSM1000, but I see a good variance of the ‘cheaper’ stuff.. my experience is that the correct answer 90% of the time is to push for the Sennheiser product!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    On frequencies - that Senn kit (which incidentally is G1, not G2 as advertised, assuming it’s the one pictured) will only legally (in the UK) operate between 863-865 MHz, which is license-free and can be used anywhere by anyone.. 
    838-863, and 865-870, where the unit will operate, are not licensable for use in the UK for PMSE (Program Making and Special Events, which is the category covering radio mics and IEM) - and as well as being illegal, you’ll find that spectrum to be pretty noisy and unreliable now!!

Let us know what mic you have/are looking at, and I can advise best way to get them working together! 
    edited December 2020
    bob21 said:
    And restricting IEM to mono is a bit like getting on the autobahn and only using Lane 1. It’ll work, but it sucks!

I also think it sounds naff. Compared to the Senn G3 product, it is night and day..

Admittedly I am a touch spoiled as 90% of what I mix on is PSM1000, but I see a good variance of the ‘cheaper’ stuff.. my experience is that the correct answer 90% of the time is to push for the Sennheiser product!
    Mono IEM's for me are just unusable .. I can't get any kind of separation between myself and other instruments as everything just seems to to mask everything else. I think this is why a lot of people get put off IEM's when they first try them. Trouble is your average cheap digital desk has maybe 6 aux sends, gonna run out quickly if everyones stereo. 

Do you ever see any wired systems in the pro world ? I've been making my own combined systems for 10 years now which basically run the stereo IEM feed up the same multicore cable as the instrument .. in my case guitar. My current one has the actual headphone amplifier built into the cable now too. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    bob21 said:

Mono IEM's for me are just unusable .. I can't get any kind of separation between myself and other instruments as everything just seems to to mask everything else. I think this is why a lot of people get put off IEM's when they first try them. Trouble is your average cheap digital desk has maybe 6 aux sends, gonna run out quickly if everyones stereo. 

Do you ever see any wired systems in the pro world ? I've been making my own combined systems for 10 years now which basically run the stereo IEM feed up the same multicore cable as the instrument .. in my case guitar. My current one has the actual headphone amplifier built into the cable now too. 

Yeah, totally agree. All the subtlety in a great mix, knocking other vocals off centre, nice reverb, wide keys and overheads for space - just isn’t possible in mono. I find the mixes have to be so much more utilitarian in mono (like wedges) - minimal; which just makes them no fun for musicians - and I think is why a lot of guys don’t get on with ears to start with!

Its definitely getting better - I often recommend the Allen Heath SQ5s for that kind of application, 12 stereo mixes!! Even an X32 Rack can chuff out 8 stereo mixes now.. 
    Though I tend to be on DiGiCo SD12, Yamaha CL5, Midas ProX mostly these days, so I don’t worry too much about aux limitations..!!

Yeah, it’s not uncommon in certain situations - often for ‘extras’ - when you get a string section added or have to do a whole big band.. quite common in the church world too where they have less budget. We really like the Fischer Amps stuff for that - the in ear stick is nice as you can do a stereo mix up a single XLR to the beltpack.. or the mini beltpack with a rackmount headphone amp. Can send the IEM up the stage box too then!

That cable looks pretty neat! I’ve come across plenty of two-cables-taped-together looms before, so that’s a neat solution to that!
    bob21 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    bob21 said:

Yeah, totally agree. All the subtlety in a great mix, knocking other vocals off centre, nice reverb, wide keys and overheads for space - just isn’t possible in mono. I find the mixes have to be so much more utilitarian in mono (like wedges) - minimal; which just makes them no fun for musicians - and I think is why a lot of guys don’t get on with ears to start with!

Its definitely getting better - I often recommend the Allen Heath SQ5s for that kind of application, 12 stereo mixes!! Even an X32 Rack can chuff out 8 stereo mixes now.. 
    Though I tend to be on DiGiCo SD12, Yamaha CL5, Midas ProX mostly these days, so I don’t worry too much about aux limitations..!!

Yeah, it’s not uncommon in certain situations - often for ‘extras’ - when you get a string section added or have to do a whole big band.. quite common in the church world too where they have less budget. We really like the Fischer Amps stuff for that - the in ear stick is nice as you can do a stereo mix up a single XLR to the beltpack.. or the mini beltpack with a rackmount headphone amp. Can send the IEM up the stage box too then!

That cable looks pretty neat! I’ve come across plenty of two-cables-taped-together looms before, so that’s a neat solution to that!
    Have you tried Klang for mixing IEMs yet @bob21? ; Going from stereo to a Klang 3D mix is like going from mono to stereo all over again. Toured it for a chunk of last year and was a game changer for me, massive fan of the system.
    mike257 said:
    bob21 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    bob21 said:

Have you tried Klang for mixing IEMs yet @bob21? ; Going from stereo to a Klang 3D mix is like going from mono to stereo all over again. Toured it for a chunk of last year and was a game changer for me, massive fan of the system.
    Yeah, I’ve had a couple of demos of it, and jumped in on another gig with a system for a night.. I was quite impressed - the thing I absolutely loved was the ability to use height to sneak ambience in low down, really made a difference to it not dominating without having to destroy it with EQ and Comp!

I guess it’s just a challenge of budget, plus infrastructure! It works well if you’re in a DiGiCo world already - and the DMI card helps a lot to the resource limitation! 

We did a gig last year that had d&b soundscape for the audience and KLANG for the band... immersive audio for everyone!!!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    bob21 said:

I'm contemplating getting a better IEM solution for my band.

I own/run the PA, which is a Yamaha TF-Rack with TIO1608D stage box, and currently have three stereo sends to band members own wireless solutions, which are 2 x Shure and 1 x LD - I forget the models, but they're the cheap, entry level systems, and they don't work very well.

If I were looking to add a 4-way IEM solution to my PA, what are my options? I'd like something rack-mounted, so I can put it in the same case as the mixer and patch it in internally, and I'd prefer to have just one aerial/antenna.

Any thoughts, @bob21 ?

R.
    bob21 said:

I'm contemplating getting a better IEM solution for my band.

I own/run the PA, which is a Yamaha TF-Rack with TIO1608D stage box, and currently have three stereo sends to band members own wireless solutions, which are 2 x Shure and 1 x LD - I forget the models, but they're the cheap, entry level systems, and they don't work very well.

If I were looking to add a 4-way IEM solution to my PA, what are my options? I'd like something rack-mounted, so I can put it in the same case as the mixer and patch it in internally, and I'd prefer to have just one aerial/antenna.

Any thoughts, @bob21 ?

R.
    If you want it all off a single antenna, you're looking at a combiner unit as well as the four transmitters, and a total of 3u of rack space taken up. If you're in any of the sound techy groups on Facebook, I'd chuck a wanted post up and see if anyone's parting with any systems - I've seen a few racks of Sennheiser G3/G4 IEM kit go in the last couple of months.  You're probably looking in the £1.5k ballpark and upwards at least though, for a system with four transmitters, combiner, paddle antenna and belt pack receivers.