RIP Spencer Davis

What's Hot
the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
edited October 2020 in Tributes
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That’s very sad, I never realise how old these people are getting  , songs were a regular fixture on radio and television over the years 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    edited October 2020
    Sheesh, a big part of my teenage years. 

I remember one of their b-sides was an instrumental called "Blues In F" - it was a jazzy kind of homage to Jimmy Smith and Kenny Burrell, with lots of 6ths and 9ths.  I used to put it on the jukebox in my local coffee bar... It annoyed the girls, but the two of us who were learning to play guitar thought it was cool as could be  B

RIP, and thoughts with his loved ones.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sad ... :-(

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14244
    tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:

I remember one of their b-sides was an instrumental called "Blues In F" - it was a jazzy kind of homage to Jimmy Smith and Kenny Burrell, with lots of 6ths and 9ths.  I used to put it on the jukebox in my local coffee bar... It annoyed the girls, but the two of us who were learning to play guitar thought it was cool as could be  B

crikey - I forgot about that track - time to go nostalgia and get it out 

Spencer Davis will always be known for those 2 big hits and of course discovering Steve Winwood - RIP
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    Nitefly said:

Indeed! The video credits the bassline to Winwood playing bass pedals, surely not?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Oh excellent, @JezWynd , thanks for that! 

I reckon Stevie would have been good enough to do the bass part on the pedals, awesome concentration/coordination required!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I must admit I didn't know much about him despite being very familiar with his name.

JezWynd said:
    Nitefly said:

Indeed! The video credits the bassline to Winwood playing bass pedals, surely not?

Very sweet. The sound of cigarettes and red leatherette.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22825
    edited October 2020
    I must admit I didn't know much about him despite being very familiar with his name.

Likewise, a familiar name and I know that one big(gest) hit. 

I  do know that he was born in Swansea and his name was, unsurprisingly, originally spelled Davies, which qualifies him as a bit of a hometown hero for me (who knows, he might even be distantly related, my gran was a Davies - although there are an awful of people in Swansea called Davies).  RIP.