Latency Tolerance

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Stuckfast said:
    Is yours a first or second/third-generation Scarlett? Focusrite improved the drivers a lot when they released the second gen.
    This is true. I had a 1st gen Scarlett 18i20. It was good, but the latencies weren't super performant. I've heard many people say that the 2nd gen were better.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    It's the second gen I have at the moment.

I also had a first gen but the latency was ridiculous on that, not even close to useable but back then I wasn't ever monitoring through the DAW (it wouldn't have been possible).
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I tested the second gen Scarletts when they came out and measured the RTL at 4.6ms with a 32-sample buffer at 44.1kHz. So it should be possible to get acceptably low latency if your machine can cope with low buffer sizes.
  • Stuckfast said:
    Is yours a first or second/third-generation Scarlett? Focusrite improved the drivers a lot when they released the second gen.
    This is true. I had a 1st gen Scarlett 18i20. It was good, but the latencies weren't super performant. I've heard many people say that the 2nd gen were better.
    I have a 2nd gen 18i20 and a 3rd gen 18i8 and neither are quite as sold latency wise as my saffire pro 40. I love the saffire pro 40 ..jsut a shame its starting to die...plus you know..firewire is becoming an ever increasing pita.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Out of daftness I've just tried my UR44 with my new Mac.  Happy as anything with a buffer size of 32 and a round-trip latency of about 6ms, not as good as either of my thunderbolt interfaces, but more than useable with no latency noticeable when running Native or other amp sims.  Was planning selling it, but may hang on to it as the mic pre's are really nice as is the format/number of inputs and outputs
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Just adding to this thread since the thought might not warrant its own thread but I've noticed something surprising.

When the latency is set to just over 8ms (around the area where it starts to become noticeable for me), I find that it's much more noticeable on headphones but when playing through speakers it's less noticeable.

That seems almost paradoxical to me because when I'm playing through speakers that are a few feet away, the total latency is increased to 10 or 11ms whereas with headphones there is no additional latency because the speakers are right at my ears.

Anyone else also find this?