Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD Old Gibson Jazzbox

What's Hot
ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

I got a few new guitars over the summer.  Didn't post as too busy at work and then MR went west.  Will post them up over the next few nights.

Been wanting a P90'd ES-175 for a while but the 1950's ones that were coming up were all in the USA and too expensive and a lot had neck breaks or bad body cracks.  Then this popped up.  Still in the USA but for a good price and undamaged.  

It's a 1961 ES-125 but the full body version which supposedly Gibson stopped producing in 1958.  However, a few were put out in '61 ... of the course the rumour is that they were unfinished '58's.  Neck profile on this is definitely early '60's though the red in the burst has faded a lot (look at where the pick guard would have been) which apparently they'd cured by 1960.  Most importantly, it's a dream guitar.   It plays beautifully, has a great neck profile (somewhere between a 59 and 60).   Makes all the sounds you'd expect and the original P90's are superb.

With the other hollow bodies I have.  (1960 ES-330, 1967 ES-175)

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    That is beautiful, really beautiful :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's beautiful..

In fact all three are beautiful.

You have a sofa-filled with beauty.

Lovely :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • P90 125 - nice choice, have a wow.
  • That is a lovely guitar. You Sir, have taste!
  • That is awesome. I have been gassing for one of these for ages. Always assumed I would need to get a late 50's one as wanted a fatter neck profile, but sounds like this aint to skinny. Also, almost every one I see for sale always seems to be a 1 pickup version, and 2 would be a must.

Congrats, great GAS.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Absolutely stunning.

I'd love one, but my jazz licks aren't up to scratch. Cool as a very cool thing, though. Great GAS daddio.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Lovely - always fancied one of those.  Good swag ! B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31634
    Chuffola;27640" said:
    Absolutely stunning.

I'd love one, but my jazz licks aren't up to scratch. Cool as a very cool thing, though. Great GAS daddio.
    I wouldn't worry about that, they sound fantastic for just about anything except metal. One of the deepest, most powerful rhythm guitar sounds you can have, and an expressive lead guitar, really one of my dream guitars too :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Beautiful. I love ES125s. I'd love a thinline non-cutaway myself :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Excellent GAS! Truly lovely guitar collection. Envy, envy!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Yes, gorgeous collection of Gibson jazz boxes from just the right era IMO, I too am highly envious, but thanks for showing them to us. :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10582
    tFB Trader
    You got a wow from me! Funnily enough I never think of the ES125 as a jazz box ... I suppose because one of my heroes has always been George Thorogood ... and one could never describe his sound as jazzy.
    I got to play one fairly regularly when I had my shop ... and they suit my own Brit-R&B style down to the ground. As you say fabulously deep, powerful bottom end ... but with a top end that can be quite rude and aggressive if you push it to be. A brilliant all rounder and a fab score.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• rauldukeraulduke Frets: 81
    edited September 2013
    All three are gorgeous.

You sir, have taste!
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

What a lovely collection, such tasteful GAS.

Funny isn't it, jazz boxes rarely trigger negative opinion, esp. classic Gibsons.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1261
    Oh. My. Word....

A wow to ESchap for obvious reasons and a wisdom to p90fool for pointing out that big hollow bodied guitars with floating bridges are good for a lot more than just Jazz.

They're great Rock'n'Roll guitars (where R'n'R can be taken as encompassing everything from Eddie Cochrane and Scotty Moore through Neil Young to Ted Nugent and Billy Duffy) and sound absolutely fabulous through a cranked amp. My theory is that the additional harmonic complexity from all that lovely resonating wood and air gives an overdriven valve (or whatever) more to work its magic on with the result that a little bit of dirt goes a long way...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Another +1 on the theme of "all three are utterly droolsome".

Lovely, lovely guitars. And I bet there is a whole wealth of gorgeous tones to be had from them.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Collection needs a Gretsch Country Gent & White Falcon as well ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • That is stunning. What a dream trio....good GAS sir.
  • Nice, in fact, all 3 are nice.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • Beauties all.  Even though I've never been into jazz I came across a Goya copy of the 175 in your pic and took it home.  It was just too nice of a guitar not to, even though it was a copy.  I tried to fit it into my playing, used it at a couple of rock band gigs and realized it wasn't my thing, it took an offer to trade it for a mint 68' Fender Mustang to pry it out of my hands.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay