NGD: Yamaha hs5s

So after yet another failure of a KRK rokit ive decided to cut my losses and try out some HS5's. Just set them up now and going to listen through for a couple of hours while im working but so far they suond pretty nice.

Seem a bit clearer than the KRK's at first impression but only been listening for 5 mins so far. 
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
    Personally, I've never heard the appeal in KRKs the times I've encountered them. The cones do look pretty, mind.  =)

Happy new monitors day!
  • I bought a set 2nd hand as my first upgrade from hi-fi speakers so ti was a good deal...but given ive had a whole bunch of failure over the years..blown tweeters, blown main drivers, blown transformers I just got fed up of it.

The HS5's so far are def a bit more detailed, less low end for sure but Ive heard that the KRKs are supposed to be a bit hyped so that's prob a good thing. 

Over the weekend I'll have a bash at actually mixing some low end and see how it works out. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
    If they're new, play some music through them for a bit - you might find there's more low end after an hour or two. Studio speakers aren't like guitar speakers, so break in isn't really a thing with them in the same way, but I have known monitors to be a bit bass light on first play.
  • Cirrus said:
    If they're new, play some music through them for a bit - you might find there's more low end after an hour or two. Studio speakers aren't like guitar speakers, so break in isn't really a thing with them in the same way, but I have known monitors to be a bit bass light on first play.
    I dont think its a break in thing, if I pump them up the speakers are def capable of throwing out higher volume low end. Think its just a slightly different voicing and still getting used to it.

Been playing a bunch of tracks I know really well for the past hour...plus the new BMTH as their recent stuff has amazing production. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    PolarityMan said:
    Think its just a slightly different voicing and still getting used to it.

Yes, this is why people tend to stick with what they know.
    Learning the frequency curve of a new set of monitors takes time.

It is usually helpful to have a crossover period of a few weeks or months where you run both sets.
  • Weeeeel I suppose I could do that but there's only one working rokit so it would be in mono :)

tbh 80& of my monitoring is on headphones anyways

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Nice.. If u ever decide you need more low end, I heard that it pairs really well with the 8 inch Yamaha sub, so easy upgrade path. 
  • Branshen said:
    Nice.. If u ever decide you need more low end, I heard that it pairs really well with the 8 inch Yamaha sub, so easy upgrade path. 
    I cant justify it really, i get about 4-5 hours a week i can actually use them and the rest of the time is on cans..maybe when the kids are bigger
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • as an aside how does everyone maange turning them on and off? Its a bit of a ballache having to get to the switches when theyre on the stands, does anyone wire them into an extension lead with switches or anythign like that?..i realise this is no different to the rokits

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I have my monitors connected to an extension on the table which is easily accessible. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    I managed to get a refurbished pair of these a few months back, and think they're excellent! Plenty of bass and low end for my needs - although with them being in my 'man shed', which is not huge, it probably helps with the bass.
  • Been listening to them most of today so hopefully starting to get used to them.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ