M-Audio BX5 versus Focal Alpha 65

No video or anything, but when we moved house and I knew I was going to be in the lounge for a bit, I needed some smaller speakers. So I "the boss" to send me some M-Audio BX5's. I didn't really expect to like them. But I think I prefer them over my Focal Alpha 65's. They're clearer and less prone to distortion in the mids for a start, and they feel like I'm able to address the low-end in much finer detail. I can hear things in detail that I couldn't hear with the Focals.

Both are cheap sets of monitors, not gonna lie. I'm not the sort of guy who would spend thousands on monitors. But the M-Audio are smaller and cheaper than the Focals, and ultimately it all comes down to preference.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve had the BX5’s in the past and now have the Focal Alpha 50’s and I prefer the Focals. The BX5’s were also really nice monitors.

The Alpha 65’s seem to divide opinion. Lots of people love them, lots of people hate them. 

The overall impression I got from reviews on the 50’s were they were universally liked. That’s why I went for the 50’s in the end. 
  • I’ve had the BX5’s in the past and now have the Focal Alpha 50’s and I prefer the Focals. The BX5’s were also really nice monitors.

The Alpha 65’s seem to divide opinion. Lots of people love them, lots of people hate them. 

The overall impression I got from reviews on the 50’s were they were universally liked. That’s why I went for the 50’s in the end. 
    I convinced myself at the time that I needed big drivers. I'm not so convinced it's necessary right now!

Bye!