How to plug an electro acoustic into the audiobox usb96

From the below section of the audibox manual it sounds like I need a DI box between an electro acoustic guitar and the audiobox. Right? Are electro acoustics line level?

"Active instruments are those that have an internal preamp or a line-level
output. Active instruments should be plugged into a D.I. box, which should then be
connected to the mic input rather than directly to an instrument input. Plugging a
line-level source into the instrument inputs on the front of the AudioBox USB96 not only
risks damage to these inputs but can also result in a very loud and often distorted
audio signal."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    edited October 2020
    Yep, an electro with a preamp (ie one in which you have to insert a battery) will be line level, giving a much larger signal than a solidbody electric would. 

I’m not familiar with the audiobox and am surprised it can’t accept an electro directly in, but what it says does make sense. 
  • I think there's an added complication - the reason I got the audiobox was to use it with a condenser mic that needs 48v phantom power. The audiobox has a button which switches the 48v on and off. If I have that on for the mic and I plug a DI box into th other XLR...the DI box isn't going to like that, is it?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    I think there's an added complication - the reason I got the audiobox was to use it with a condenser mic that needs 48v phantom power. The audiobox has a button which switches the 48v on and off. If I have that on for the mic and I plug a DI box into th other XLR...the DI box isn't going to like that, is it?
    A passive transformer DI box will block the DC so will fine
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I’m thinking of trading the audiobox in for the iTwo version...that has an instrument/line level switch on each channel.