Frank Bough

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
in Tributes tFB Trader
More of my child hood goes today - Way before the days of Sky and Sat afternoon was Grandstand - I have little memories of breakfast TV - But Grandstand was part of my growing up - And never missed the final score part

RIP Frank
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18755
    Sacked by the BBC in 1988 for (true) revelations involving cocaine & hookers.
    Frank, you were a one off. RIP
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6683
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Met him at a petrol station at the height of his fame .. he was tall. Nice guy .. we had a chat.

RIP.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    One of those people who I thought had left us some years ago!

As a kid of the 70s I remember Grandstand with Frank Bough and World of sport with Dickie Davis very well. My dad was always watching them. Frank was an icon of my youth! RIP FB
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Fun little tribute to Frank from Doves about a decade ago... https://www.soundonsound.com/people/doves-producing-kingdom-rust
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    RIP Frank. :(
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Really shitty tribute from the BBC yesterday - no class at all !

RIP Frank
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I was watching it on the news and my son, who had no idea who he was, quite amazed that he’d been alive this long as Frank looked about 80 forty years ago. I got what he meant but I think Frank was just very old school in how he presented himself. My father, slightly older than Frank, was of a generation that seemed to go from childhood to being properly grown up rather than decades of chasing being a teenager. 
    I don’t have very strong memories of him but one of those ‘always there’ figures. RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824
    axisus said:

As a kid of the 70s I remember Grandstand with Frank Bough and World of sport with Dickie Davis very well. My dad was always watching them. Frank was an icon of my youth! RIP FB

This is something I'm becoming increasingly aware of - figures like Frank Bough who were genuine household names in my youth, they fade from our screens then one day you realise it's been 10 years since you heard of them at all.  And of course they've been slowly succumbing to old age, ending up in a care home like everyone else, no matter who they once were. 

All rather depressing.  RIP Frank.

I was watching it on the news and my son, who had no idea who he was, quite amazed that he’d been alive this long as Frank looked about 80 forty years ago. I got what he meant but I think Frank was just very old school in how he presented himself. My father, slightly older than Frank, was of a generation that seemed to go from childhood to being properly grown up rather than decades of chasing being a teenager. 

I think its the combover.  The combover is extinct.  Except on the Conservative benches in the House of Commons.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited October 2020
    Philly_Q said:

This is something I'm becoming increasingly aware of - figures like Frank Bough who were genuine household names in my youth, they fade from our screens then one day you realise it's been 10 years since you heard of them at all.  And of course they've been slowly succumbing to old age, ending up in a care home like everyone else, no matter who they once were.

When I read that, I just started wondering where Des Lynam is these days...

EDIT: And Dickie Davies...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:

All rather depressing.  RIP Frank.

I think its the combover.  The combover is extinct.  Except on the Conservative benches in the House of Commons.

Very, very obvious combover as well.

There’s a chap on my case load who is about 45 and lives with his mother who is nearly 80. He has a learning disability and autism and his mother chooses all his clothes, I suspect a bunch of them were his late father’s. So it’s cardigans and grey slacks, comfortable shoes - it’s quite hard to get past the idea that he isn’t in his 70s himself because that’s not how 45 year olds dress nowadays. Mention him to anyone who has ever met him and they think he is a pensioner. Yet he has the appropriate amount of wrinkles for his age, it’s just the clothes.
    Frank, my dad were of a generation that went out of school uniform and into cheap suits which just looks odd and old these days. My father used to have a story about his first day at work, he would have been 15 I think, he got sent back home because he was still wearing his school shorts. His mother had to find him some long trousers from somewhere and day two of his job he became an old bloke. 

And, yes, names of people you’ve known all your life passing away. It is disconcerting. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12317
    He was a right rum bugger, RIP 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"