SINGERS: How many different ways to sing the same song?

What's Hot
ijontyijonty Frets: 32
edited October 2020 in Studio & Recording
Hi all

I'm now the official singer in my band, but not because I'm good at it. Because the good singer can't play with us any more.

I've written my first song and recorded a vocal, but don't know anything about singing. I've never sang my own song before.

There seem to be a million decisions to make, from the octave you choose, to the pacing of the words, the intonation, the tone, attitude, rhythm, and of course the melody. I feel like a song could be sang an almost infinite number of ways, so am exploring what some of those ways could be.

Below is my first take on it (bedroom recording, so excuse the production quality), but I feel it could have more power. You can hear my uncertainty in my voice.

If I posted a version without the vocal and give you the lyrics, does anyone want to show me how it could be done differently/better?

Here's my version:

https://soundcloud.com/fade-again/i-machine-for-thefretboard/s-npyiZB9m4AX

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got no idea about singing - bit of a dark art to me but I love your song. Excellent stuff.
  • I enjoyed that, excellent stuff. I think your voice works really well with that kind of song/vibe. I think the uncertainty actually adds to the effect to be honest, had a kind of indifference to it that really goes with the style.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    edited October 2020
    Thanks @downsideup11 and @thecolourbox ! It's the first song I've ever sung so just working things out. I've since recorded a new version with more oomph that I think improves it - what do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/fade-again/201024-i-machine-zoom-31-136-10271834/s-BMFhMSMUjU1

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • Hi - yes both versions are equally good to my ears.  I don't think you need to worry about your vocals as you're really good. I understand that singing is fairly new to you so natural for you to have concerns and to seek advice.

Like I mentioned in the previous post I'm no singer so I'm not really in a position to give much advice but maybe just do more of it and I'm sure you'll soon find the voice you're comfortable with. Just keep doing it and keep writing the songs - you've got a talent for it.
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Hi - yes both versions are equally good to my ears.  I don't think you need to worry about your vocals as you're really good. I understand that singing is fairly new to you so natural for you to have concerns and to seek advice.

Like I mentioned in the previous post I'm no singer so I'm not really in a position to give much advice but maybe just do more of it and I'm sure you'll soon find the voice you're comfortable with. Just keep doing it and keep writing the songs - you've got a talent for it.

Thanks, really appreciate your comments. I guess imposter syndrome is quite common, especially for beginners!