SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Never mind (not for sale any more)...

What's Hot
De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
edited October 2020 in Amps £
Anyone interested in this? I'm not massively desperate to sell it (so I won't be letting it go for £200), but if you've got an offer up your sleeve, please get in touch... I've listed it for below what fully original ones go for on Reverb. 

Description:

Marshall 2045 cabinet with the rather beautiful check grille cloth and purple (bronco?) tolex covering. 

This is an all-ply 2x12 with an unusually small depth that gives a different sound to the modern 1936 cabs. 

As far as I can tell, this is a real 1970s cabinet (it had Blackbacks in it when I got it, but they were shot to buggery). Not - according to someone who would know! - original factory purple. 
It's missing a serial number badge on the back, but it has the original round socket, and the unusual brace as you can see in the pictures. I've also shown a couple of the signature / QC marks for anyone interested in that sort of thing. The tolex has lifted a bit from the back panel as I've tried to show. 

The replacement speakers are the wonderful Tayden High Brit G12Ms, which was their high-power Greenback. These are two 8-ohm speakers wired in series for 16 ohms. Bear in mind that unlike the original speakers, these are robust enough to handle 100W between them. 

This one has the immensely useful long tilt-back legs fitted, too. 

And the price? Well, you see these advertised for high prices without any speakers, and the ones with original speakers in are way north of £1000. 

So if you're interested, get in touch. Make me an offer... I'd rather not post the bloody thing, but it's not impossible, so again contact me if you've got something in mind. 

As always, sorry for the ropey photos, but the combination of phone camera and its studio home (in the middle of Sheffield if you're thinking of collecting it) means I can't do much better!

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--xx21HTZ7--/f_auto,t_supersize/v1603838551/p6mcmhnohwatiqai4ytf.jpg
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--tomGZvgO--/f_auto,t_supersize/v1603838556/rlnmsejpfyeo2a0uaxr4.jpg
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--c7ALSso2--/f_auto,t_supersize/v1603838560/w0nikdb0jrmit6dizf82.jpg
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--yZZpHiqq--/f_auto,t_supersize/v1603838566/ayp7leao47ur7uvinybc.jpg
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--zo1WDzHj--/f_auto,t_supersize/v1603838574/sp4exnzve5waq665np7b.jpg
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--DlFnzZP3--/f_auto,t_supersize/v1603838579/clxvptsosxmqlakysagl.jpg
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--vx35wVHA--/f_auto,t_supersize/v1603838583/dm0drmpyic5qm56j3udb.jpg
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--k1ZHQGJ_--/f_auto,t_supersize/v1603838588/epeyxnwfbkryszxloypi.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Whether it's a re-tolex or not is up for discussion. What isn't is the fact that you have to put an asking price to abide by classified roolz. A 'not as low as £200 to well over £1000' doesn't count I'm afraid. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    Right, I've updated the description to deal with point 1 and I'm just on it with point 2.
    McToot said:
    Whether it's a re-tolex or not is up for discussion. What isn't is the fact that you have to put an asking price to abide by classified roolz. A 'not as low as £200 to well over £1000' doesn't count I'm afraid. 
    Asking price added... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There is an almost identical 4x12 on Pinterest which says it's a 1973 custom colour. Same piping and corners etc.

What's the tell for saying it's been re-covered? 
    edited October 2020
    This one... 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    @De_Batz just for reference..

I owned (twice) a 70s JMP with the original tolex, grill cloth and 3 original speakers. It was signed by Jim Marshall inside. The general consensus was (after speaking to a few vintage gear chaps and Jo at Marshall) that the cab may be worth in the region of £450-500. 

I’m not sure if that helps but I’m trying to draw a parallels such as the changed speaker/s and same era cab. It terribly difficult to date these things and know if there has been any modifications sometimes. 
    Well, indeed. There's a 1977 4x12 linked on reverb
    https://images.app.goo.gl/fApV4GCQrBpQxeng7
    That cab has been recovered. 

Interesting on the value. There are no examples of 2045s for sale under £1000 on Reverb, except one with changed speakers at £900.

If you can buy and sell 70s cabs with original speakers for £500, you are doing exceptionally well compared to what is visible on the rest of the Internet. 
    edited October 2020
    Thing is, if it isn't worth anything, then I'll keep it. If anyone is interested in owning the thing, make me an offer. If not, any advice is gratefully received... 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Lower your tone mate. I was attempting to be “on your side” with the fact that you have a nice piece of kit in your possession and you weren’t totally sure of the valuation. An advertised price on google is not proving its place on the market when it comes to money. Hence why I was trying be friendly. Speaking to someone who has good vintage amp knowledge (which would be more worthwhile to obtain a selling price). 

But anyway... Good luck with your sale. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• De_Batz said:
    There is an almost identical 4x12 on Pinterest which says it's a 1973 custom colour. Same piping and corners etc.

The main indicator is the sloppy workmanship on the inside, but also the corner protectors look too new, the gold piping looks like the stretchy plastic stuff they use thesedays, and the staples are not the narrow crown type that Marshall use, they are the wide ones most people have in their staplers at home. There should also be evidence of a serial tag having been on it.

Marshall did offer purple as a custom colour yes. However, when looking around for examples online just be aware that there is a LOT of "refurbished" gear, and messed about with gear, being described as totally original. That is not a dig at you, just something to be aware of when looking for comparison examples online. It's a combination of dis-honest people wanting to get high prices when selling, and honest people who just can't tell the difference.
  • @De_Batz just for reference..

I owned (twice) a 70s JMP with the original tolex, grill cloth and 3 original speakers. It was signed by Jim Marshall inside. The general consensus was (after speaking to a few vintage gear chaps and Jo at Marshall) that the cab may be worth in the region of £450-500. 

I’m not sure if that helps but I’m trying to draw a parallels such as the changed speaker/s and same era cab. It terribly difficult to date these things and know if there has been any modifications sometimes. 
    These 2045 cabs have gone up in value a lot in recent years. Dealers pushing prices up on everything vintage, mainly influenced by USA asking prices. About ten years ago they could be had for well under half the current selling prices in UK.
    edited October 2020
    Lower your tone mate. I was attempting to be “on your side” with the fact that you have a nice piece of kit in your possession and you weren’t totally sure of the valuation. An advertised price on google is not proving its place on the market when it comes to money. Hence why I was trying be friendly. Speaking to someone who has good vintage amp knowledge (which would be more worthwhile to obtain a selling price). 

But anyway... Good luck with your sale. 
    I'm serious about the 70s Marshall cabs. I'd be happy to pay £500 based on what I see available in the places I look. Your valuation on a 70s JMP cab with 3 of four original speakers is way low, and would sell instantly on ebay or reverb. Although it is worth remembering that the value of anything is just what someone else will pay for it! 

I wasn't directing the first part of the comment (about making an offer) to you, though, but to others who might be reading with that question in mind. I can see how that was not apparent from the post I wrote, so apologies for coming across as inflammatory. 
    edited October 2020

De_Batz said:

The main indicator is the sloppy workmanship on the inside, but also the corner protectors look too new, the gold piping looks like the stretchy plastic stuff they use thesedays, and the staples are not the narrow crown type that Marshall use, they are the wide ones most people have in their staplers at home. There should also be evidence of a serial tag having been on it.

Marshall did offer purple as a custom colour yes. However, when looking around for examples online just be aware that there is a LOT of "refurbished" gear, and messed about with gear, being described as totally original. That is not a dig at you, just something to be aware of when looking for comparison examples online. It's a combination of dis-honest people wanting to get high prices when selling, and honest people who just can't tell the difference.
    Should I also be questioning whether it is an actual (old) Marshall?

For anyone reading the thread who might be interested in buying the cab, I think it's time for me to withdraw it. 
    @De_Batz just for reference..

These 2045 cabs have gone up in value a lot in recent years. Dealers pushing prices up on everything vintage, mainly influenced by USA asking prices. About ten years ago they could be had for well under half the current selling prices in UK.
    I think I got it for £200 about fifteen years ago, when neither I nor the seller had an appreciation of what I was buying. Now, though, the 2045 has acquired something of a reputation and this one - despite not being all original - might fetch at least three times that. Original with (working) blackbacks would be  £1000 or more on ebay or Reverb, and definitely original factory purple twice that, at a guess. But like I say, value is about what someone will pay, so what the experts are telling us reflects that. 
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited October 2020
    De_Batz said:

Should I also be questioning whether it is an actual (old) Marshall?

No, it's a real one. The grill cloth, handle and white piping appear to be original. Just the purple tolex, gold piping, corner protectors, fender stand, and speakers are not. It has the massive center brace so is mid 70's, rather than early 70's.
    Thanks for all your help with IDing this. I didn't intend to imply at any stage that I was certain the purple was original! 
  • Bygone Tones has listed what's original. This is one of four I used to have, I've photographed the way the tolex covering wraps around over the baton where the screws go so you can get a feel for the difference with yours.