Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The moment many have been waiting for.....

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 960
.... http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/fender-resurrects-coronado-and-starcaster-583376/9 Some peeps will be very happy - especially at the price!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bloody hell! When I saw the 'MR' bit in the URL, I thought you were telling us the 'old place' had been turned back on!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I just can't deal with that headstock - it would have been very tempting at the expected prices...

I'd love to see something like that with a strat head and a trem!  
    It would help distract me from the bargain 335's in the other thread that I couldn't gig but want!
  • Ah, the headstock is gorgeous...

I'd give you a trem though - a nice Bigsby would suit it big-time :)

• JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Pity they didn't give the Coronado it's trem system. One of the smoothest trems I've ever used ...still I'd love to pick up one of each. 
  • Fano are doing a high-end Starcaster-alike. Tone World have just got one in. It has the standard Fano headstock and looks really nice. The Fender looks great for the money....
  • I touched on this in the other thread. the price quoted is for a red or black finish, bursts are more money. I'm very tempted but it does seem a lot of money for a Chinese made instrument with no case (of even a gig bag)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72501
    John_P said:
    I just can't deal with that headstock - it would have been very tempting at the expected prices...

Nor me - even though I know it's the original - or the Gibson bridge/tailpiece, which definitely isn't.

Close, but still a fail.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Yes, but its better than that horrid bodge the bridge used to be (packing pieces underneath it - nice one, Fender).

I like the headstock, it suits the shape of the rest of it - and if it had a Strat head on it it would look wrong. And a three-a-side would stray into Gibbo territory too...

Nice - but is it me, or does it look like a Photoplop mock up in that pic above? The reflections/colour of the pickups is wrong compared to the rest.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Oh and the the close up of the pickups on MR shows Fender attention to detail - the pickup ring is broken!!!!!! :P

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That headstock is essential imo. The bridge I can handle, but the pickups will want replacing for (close to) that proper WRHB sound. I definitely fancy a black or blonde one.

Aside: Starcaster is a pain to touch-type. All left hand keys..!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I remember seeing Jonny Greenwood play a Starcaster many years ago and I thought it was one of the coolest guitars I'd seen.

I reckon they are going to sell a load of these...
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I liked the original one-piece bride/tailpiece. The TOM arrangement seems just a bit of a cop-out 
    The headstock is essential to the whole Starcaster look.
    Anyway, I'm still holding out for the cheaper Squier alternative. Maybe they'll stick the old-style bridge on it!
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    I touched on this in the other thread. the price quoted is for a red or black finish, bursts are more money. I'm very tempted but it does seem a lot of money for a Chinese made instrument with no case (of even a gig bag)
    An alternative perspective: Two guitars next to each other, exactly the same spec, style etc but one is *clearly* the better instrument. It so happens the better one is MIC, the worse is MIA. If they were the same price, would you buy the MIA just because it was MIA?
  • Horses for courses I guess but I'm going to file them guitars under the 'blurrgh' section

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• daveyh said:
    I touched on this in the other thread. the price quoted is for a red or black finish, bursts are more money. I'm very tempted but it does seem a lot of money for a Chinese made instrument with no case (of even a gig bag)
    An alternative perspective: Two guitars next to each other, exactly the same spec, style etc but one is *clearly* the better instrument. It so happens the better one is MIC, the worse is MIA. If they were the same price, would you buy the MIA just because it was MIA?
    Not at all, I'd buy the better put together guitar, but I would expect the better one to be MIA or even MIM. My point being that the MIC modern player series are the Fender budget range and these, although not huge money aren't cheap. And you don't get anything to carry it in. I still want a Starcaster and a Coronado though  :)
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Starcaster in Natural please.  Don't want an Es 339 anymore.
    Japanese instruments used to be seen as poor quality relations - now the quality is equally as good as US guitars.

Korean guitars ditto - now you see £1000 guitars made in Korea and no-one blinks.

Chinese quality is coming up - and coming up very quickly. 

Personally, I don't give a flying fart where something is made, as long as it is *physically* good - and I pay little heed to folks telling me not to buy something just based on where its made. I'll check it out myself and make the decision. :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I mentioned it on another thread but why do Fender insist on everything having modern C neck shape, 9.5" - this combined with parts bin hardware and it's yet again the same Fender as all the rest with a different shape. No real individual character other than the looks. Haven't played one so may be wrong, but meh.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33810
    I'm having one of those Starcasters.