SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Traded! 1980 Washburn J-6 'Wes Montgomery' MIJ

danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
edited November 2020 in Guitars £
The last of the guitars I intend to sell to raise funds for another purchase.

This is an early (no headstock inlay) Japanese Washburn J-6 with original wiring and Maxon pickups. This was before the 'Wes Montgomery' moniker and move to Korean production with single piece neck.

From the serial number which has faded, it's either a 1980 or 1982.

It's a typical high quality 80's 17" L5 copy, with 5 piece neck. The hardware is all original and the guitar is in overall good cosmetic condition for the age. It intonates properly and is set up with Thomastik Swing 12s. No buzzes, 2mm action at both high and low E's at 12th. Straight neck and truss rod is working properly. 

The pots are a bit scratchy at times, not surprising given the age. There were some sympathetic buzzes coming from the pickup rings which have been resolved. There is some glue residue on upper frets where they've either been replaced or reinserted in the past, with a couple lifting at the edge but not fretting out or buzzing. It doesn't bother me but mentioning it.

I suspect that the internal trusses had likely had some reinforcement glue added, not unusual to see trusses come loose on older Archtops apparently.

Despite its cosmetic flaws, it's a very playable guitar with a sweet tone, both acoustically and plugged in and a 'cheap' way into proper jazz tone and feel. Also a good backup option/guitar to be left on a stand as it's quite enjoyable to pick up and play acoustically at whim.

Comes with an old, sturdy hardcase, not sure if it's the guitar's originally but it fits and does the job.

A Korean version recently sold for £500 on evilbay so will price this MIJ one at the same £500 to account for its 'mojo'.

Guitar is in Swansea

ps. shoutout to @deadgrateful for upping the photo game.

https://youtu.be/4RUKBfHE1So

j6-09 j6-02

j6-03 j6-04 j6-05 j6-06 j6-07 j6-08  j6-10 j6-11 j6-12 j6-01-2
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments