Recording ideas on a smartphone

A friend and I hope to meet up after the virus problem has been put to bed.  In the meantime we must work away on our own.  I record bits of ideas and WhatsApp them to him and vice versa.

He plays acoustic guitar which sounds OK when fed into my computer sound system.  My efforts sound pretty weak and spiky, mainly because I am using either my Pignose or Stinger amp, both of which are working at low volume.  Is there any simple way of thickening up the guitar sound.  This audio character is not due to the guitar in use as it applies to all my electrics.  The acoustic is slightly better.  I have a couple of drive pedals but don't want to buy any pedals if it possible to get a better sound without using pedals.

Any help suggested is much appreciated.  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is there an app to apply EQ to recordings on a phone? If not, there are plenty of solutions, but they will probably involve using a computer to mess with the files 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • There is a Dolby app that lets you EQ recordings, I’ve used it for phone recordings and it works well.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Why not just record your ideas on your computer and use the desktop version of WhatsApp to send him the bounced ideas????
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    poopot said:
    Why not just record your ideas on your computer and use the desktop version of WhatsApp to send him the bounced ideas????
    Thanks for your suggestion my friend but I have no idea how to do this.  As it is I have a simple phone holder that allows me to record video and audio on the phone.  My desktop computer has no microphones or camera, such devices are not available in our local town due to everything being bought up for working from home.  We are in lockdown so going to Dublin for kit is out of the question these days.

I have no interest in putting together a reasonable quality recording system as it will only be used until the virus problem is solved.  A thicker less weedy sound from my guitar possibly would be a solution, but I can't figure out how to get such a sound at domestic sound levels.  Unsurprisingly my valve amp sounds much thicker and closer to what I hope for when played at volume.  Volume as in totally unacceptable domestic levels if you get my drift.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    edited November 2020
    Yamaha have a very nifty app for iPhone and (I think) Android, called Audio Recorder. It’s simple and mimics a tape deck.
    It’s free.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Rocker said:
    poopot said:
    Thanks for your suggestion my friend but I have no idea how to do this.  As it is I have a simple phone holder that allows me to record video and audio on the phone.  My desktop computer has no microphones or camera, such devices are not available in our local town due to everything being bought up for working from home.  We are in lockdown so going to Dublin for kit is out of the question these days.

I have no interest in putting together a reasonable quality recording system as it will only be used until the virus problem is solved.  A thicker less weedy sound from my guitar possibly would be a solution, but I can't figure out how to get such a sound at domestic sound levels.  Unsurprisingly my valve amp sounds much thicker and closer to what I hope for when played at volume.  Volume as in totally unacceptable domestic levels if you get my drift.
    What about something like the iRig? Plug your guitar into the phone and record with the amp sims... will be beefier than the phones mic that’s for certain.
  • Ive tried many of those metioned above, and then I got a Izotope Spire.

Best piece of creative ive bought, and sounds amazingly good.

The round thing, seen here below;

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    You could get a second hand IRig and di your guitar into your phone.   Then use one of the free amp sims.   Like the free version of Amplitube used to be good.