Novice computer recording advice needed

What's Hot
richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
edited November 2020 in Studio & Recording
I have a friend who I have recorded with a lot over the years who has a great home studio set up, running Cubase Pro 10 (I hope I’ve got that right!).

Obviously lockdown has put paid to getting together, so I’d like to be able to track parts and send them to him via Dropbox or something similar. I already have decent mics, headphones and a decent spec laptop running Windows 10.

I’m not looking to spend big money, or get heavily into production - essentially I just want to be able to record quickly and send him the files. Would a Steinberg UR22c (which is packaged with basic Cubase software) allow me to do this? 

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    You want to use Cubase cause he has it ?......most of the popular interfaces come with a version of a DAW.

Presonus comes with Studio One which I use, other use Focusrite, and a few others are about...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    You want to use Cubase cause he has it ?......most of the popular interfaces come with a version of a DAW.

Presonus comes with Studio One which I use, other use Focusrite, and a few others are about...
    You see this is where my ignorance lies - do I need to use Cubase, or are the files compatible between different makers? 
  • its going to be way more straightforward if you use the same DAW program as your friend you are working with if possible but you can make it work between DAWs by jsut bouncing the parts out as wav / midi and reimporting. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • its going to be way more straightforward if you use the same DAW program as your friend you are working with if possible but you can make it work between DAWs by jsut bouncing the parts out as wav / midi and reimporting. 
    Brilliant - thank you.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
     you can make it work between DAWs by jsut bouncing the parts out as wav / midi and reimporting. 
    I would say that this is the way to go.

During lockdown I've worked remotely with a few novice DAW users.  I use Cubase 10.5 Pro (plus I have Reaper on a laptop for field recording), the guys that I have been working with have got a cut down, and older, version of Cubase that came with his AI, Logic and Reaper.  We shipped wav and MIDI files.

The advantage to having a common platform is that it made it, slightly, easier to explain to people how to do things like exporting and importing files.  For the guy working in Logic the principles were the same but I had to look on YouTube to see what the functions were called / where to find the sub menues etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom